Hate Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posed this question on another thread and got some good suggestions. I put Win 10 on a desktop and hate it. I can't find stuff or do things I've been doing for years on Win 7. I'm in my 60's and haven't found one contemporary who doesn't hate Win 10. I still have 7 on my laptop which I use all the time. I asked about alternative operating systems and Linux was suggested for what I do. Email, news blogs, forums, and music dl's.
How hard is it to install Linux and get rid of Windows 10 on a desktop? I've tried to wipe a Samsung Tab and install Lollipop following youtube directions and haven't been able to complete the process. Not upset about it because I couldn't use it anyway with all the bloatware on it.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Email, news blogs, forums, and music dl's.

These sound like basic tasks that just about any web browser should be able to accomplish, regardless of underlying operating system. Does Win 10 not allow you to access your email or browse internet forums, etc?

Quote:
How hard is it to install Linux and get rid of Windows 10 on a desktop? I've tried to wipe a Samsung Tab and install Lollipop following youtube directions and haven't been able to complete the process. Not upset about it because I couldn't use it anyway with all the bloatware on it.

Before you venture to a completely different OS, which you are going to have to learn, maybe try this first?

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

I prefer XP myself but I really hate windows 8 series. Windows 10 makes you do too many steps to get some things done yet other things are really nice.

After taking 20 minutes to customize 10, I like it more than XP or 7. Turn off the notification center and Cortana, remove/uninstall all the stupid tiles and bloatware, pin the control panel, task manager and this PC to the start menu along with other commonly used apps. Install it on an SSD and it boots and shuts down in seconds.

Im used to it now, and I actually like it for my purposes. I turned off cortana but use the rest of it. Popping up with mail, flashing different things was obnoxious at first. Now i like it and see the old ways kind of antique. Like a flip phone.

Windows 10 can be customized to look and work almost like windows 7 just gotta figure where all the settings are, or get a shell that does that for you like others suggested. I imagine you would be need to customize linux if you installed that as well.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
How hard is it to install Linux and get rid of Windows 10 on a desktop?

It's easy enough to do, but one thing you should try first is putting (Ubuntu) on a USB stick (preferably 3.0) so that you can run that OS off the USB stick to try it out first.

1. Did you perform a image of your W7 installation before installing W10 over it?
2. Installing Linux is straightforward, however using it will require a learning curve.
3. Check out the guides on Tweakhound.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
If Win7 to Win10 is difficult, trying to run Linux will almost make you throw your PC in the trash.

^This

Windows 10 is a walk in the park compared to trying to install Linux especially if you don't know all the drivers you'll need for what you have.

I don't even notice any difference going from Windows 7 to 10.

I have no idea how anyone could think a user-oriented Linux-based OS like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, SUSE, etc. is somehow more difficult to use than Windows. It is entirely and profoundly the opposite. There is one source for all of your software, all updates are tested and pushed to your system automatically, there are no trials and costly upgrades, you don't have to concern yourself over viruses, malware, spyware, etc. and no one is ever going to ask anything of or take anything from you.

It is true that you'll have to install it; but again, the user-oriented OS's are simply a matter of filling in questions like "your name" and clicking "OK" for everything else.

Linux OS's are made to serve and work for you, in contrast to treating you as a cash cow or source of valuable personal data.

It is very easy to load one of these OS's onto a USB stick, boot directly from it and test it out. If you like it, you can install it right then and there. If you are interested in doing that, I'd be happy to provide you with some step-by-step guidance using Ubuntu. You take take a quick peek at Ubuntu here: https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/features

1. Install Classic Shell, free download
2. Install a new, wipe, format, Windows 7 on desktop
3. Install Linux Mint, download .ISO and burn to DVD, then boot from DVD with option to setup

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
If Win7 to Win10 is difficult, trying to run Linux will almost make you throw your PC in the trash.

^This

Windows 10 is a walk in the park compared to trying to install Linux especially if you don't know all the drivers you'll need for what you have.

I don't even notice any difference going from Windows 7 to 10.

I have installed both dozens and dozens of times. An install of a mainstream Linux distro takes a few minutes and is a matter of click-through until boot. Windows? Not so much. Then with Windows there seems to inevitably some hours of updates. Then going here, there and everywhere to get all of the applications you'll need including applications just to keep the system running safely and securely.

Which Linux OS did you find trouble with? There are hundreds of "distros" out there; all with a different purpose and different community of developers behind it. Some are miles from being user-friendly (like assembling an automobile from a parts list you have to curate) while others are ready to roll after clicking through the installation process. To try to speak of "Linux" as though such a thing could be said may be a disservice to its versatility. ChromeOS and Android are both Linux OS's. Ubuntu and Mint are meant for normal users. I will happily deposit any computer directly into the trash if charged with the task of installing Gentoo, on the other hand!

If you're that committed to hating windows 10 to be willing to install Linux, have at it. Maybe it'll be what you're looking for. I'd recommend something like Ubuntu for newbies. Personally, it's more trouble than it's worth to me (not installing it. Software you can't use, mainly)

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
I have no idea how anyone could think a user-oriented Linux-based OS like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, SUSE, etc. is somehow more difficult to use than Windows. It is entirely and profoundly the opposite. There is one source for all of your software, all updates are tested and pushed to your system automatically, there are no trials and costly upgrades, you don't have to concern yourself over viruses, malware, spyware, etc. and no one is ever going to ask anything of or take anything from you.

It is true that you'll have to install it; but again, the user-oriented OS's are simply a matter of filling in questions like "your name" and clicking "OK" for everything else.

Linux OS's are made to serve and work for you, in contrast to treating you as a cash cow or source of valuable personal data.

It is very easy to load one of these OS's onto a USB stick, boot directly from it and test it out. If you like it, you can install it right then and there. If you are interested in doing that, I'd be happy to provide you with some step-by-step guidance using Ubuntu. You take take a quick peek at Ubuntu here: https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/features

This. Ubuntu and other debian based systems are child's play when it comes to use. It even has a step-by-step graphical installer. I'm not suggesting one thing or another and I'm not trying to downplay installing Linux, but if you spend even 5 minutes to read a tutor on how to install it, it's not a big deal.

Nothing to *learn* about Linux with Ubuntu since everything can be graphical base (updating and installing software, file manager, etc).

I prefer shell and Arch Linux but those are what I would advise not to use for beginners.

My suggestion:
Stick with Windows 10, it's tolerable when you turn off Cortana. Get used to it some more, like say after a year and then follow up and we'll move on from there.

Linux(Ubuntu) is incredible when it works, and not for faint at heart if something on your PC or notebook does not work quite right. Except to be typing cryptic command line stuff with someone leaving out a line or having different file structure so it may not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back