Magnetic drain plugs and UOA sampling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CleverUserName
I recently installed a dimple magnetic plug in my engine oil pan.

Has anyone ever tried taking the material captured on the magnet and re-introducing it back into the drained oil, mixing thoroughly, and then grabbing a sample for UOA analysis? If so, how did you do it?

Anybody see flaws in this idea, or have a better solution ?

Impossible to do, as others in here have said, it would be like trying to cut open a filter and dumping any metal back into the oil.

Makes no sense, even if it made sense, it would be impossible as any metal on the plug would not mix evenly back into the oil as those particles are now magnetized and will cling together.

I do understand your reasoning, Im a big believer in magnetic oil plugs but what you are trying to do is impossible.
Look at it no differently then using a high quality filter.

If your REALLY that set on knowing if the magnet changes the outcome of a UOA (which it wont) simply do a run without the magnet, the same thinking would be if one oil filter was much better then the other.

Hope this helps :eek:)
Again, Im a big believer in magnetic oil plugs but it is not going to affect the outcome of your UOA anymore then any oil filter.

I personally like the "goldplug" brand, I hate the price, price is retarded, but rock solid super strong magnetic oil plugs.

Linctex also gets an award with the magnets he places in his oil filter, quite unique idea. (photos are in this thread)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back