Snow Blower Chute Build-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boraticus
Buy a Krazy Karpet and mold it to fit the chute. It's extremely slippery, very tough, cold resistant and easy to work with. I put one on my 2007 Simplicity snowblower when it was brand new. It is still working well. Sprays will not stop abrasion from gravel nor rust from salt after the paint is removed. Nor will spray be effective once the surface is rusted.

I really like that idea!! Might have to go and buy a crazy carpet and cut it up for the chute in my old Toro. Who sells crazy carpets these days?

I would modify the exhaust so it blows into a shroud around the build-up point of the chute. Standard iron plumbing fittings screw right into the exhaust port of most small engines.
That assumes heating the chute would actually keep it from clogging.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Buy a Krazy Karpet and mold it to fit the chute. It's extremely slippery, very tough, cold resistant and easy to work with. I put one on my 2007 Simplicity snowblower when it was brand new. It is still working well. Sprays will not stop abrasion from gravel nor rust from salt after the paint is removed. Nor will spray be effective once the surface is rusted.

I really like that idea!! Might have to go and buy a crazy carpet and cut it up for the chute in my old Toro. Who sells crazy carpets these days?

Try doing a search for " children's snow toys". The product might come up under a different name.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
end of driveway snow is usually always a mix of snow, gravel & salt which is often moist, heavy and most damaging to the chute.

If you blow the snow out of the road before the snow plow comes thru...you wont have any in the driveway.

Nope! Might reduce some of it but never eliminate it. Especially if the lots on the street are large, which ours were. The plow would sometimes have two hundred feet between driveways. That's a lot of distance to pick up snow. With a heavy snowfall, there would be virtually no advantage to clearing a portion of the road first unless you do the entire street on your side. Here's an example:

Try doing a search for " children's snow toys". The product might come up under a different name.
I actually found "turbo carpets" for sale at CT. Turbo carpet is the new name for them now. $4.49 for a 48 inch long carpet.

Make sure you put the slippery side out!

The stuff is pretty tough. For over eight seasons I put tons of end-of-driveway snow, ice & gravel through the machine. The plastic is a bit scuffed but nothing is sticking to it and it still has a lot of life in it according to my friend who now owns it.

Keep us tuned in on the project if you go for it.

Make sure you put the slippery side out!

The stuff is pretty tough. For over eight seasons I put tons of end-of-driveway snow, ice & gravel through the machine. The plastic is a bit scuffed but nothing is sticking to it and it still has a lot of life in it according to my friend who now owns it.

Keep us tuned in on the project if you go for it.
Im not sure which side is supposed to be the slippery side as both are slippery! One side is super smooth and the other has a slight texture but it still smooth when you run your hand over it. Which side should the snow go against?

The super smooth side out.
Meaning, super smooth side is the side to come in contact with the snow? Just want to be sure!

Nice Job! Maybe put a piece on the deflector too. Just to protect the paint.

That looks like an old Toro. Solid machine.
Please make sure to let us know how it works. I know you won't be having sticking snow issues. It would be interesting to know if it improves snow throwing distance. If you want more throwing distance, look up the "Clarence Kit". It does wonders for old machines.

Nice Job! Maybe put a piece on the deflector too. Just to protect the paint.

That looks like an old Toro. Solid machine.
Please make sure to let us know how it works. I know you won't be having sticking snow issues. It would be interesting to know if it improves snow throwing distance. If you want more throwing distance, look up the "Clarence Kit". It does wonders for old machines.

Thanks! Ya, I should put a piece in the deflector. I might get to that in another week or so. I just bought this machine back in October and have never used it yet as we haven't had a large dumping of snow to warrant bringing it out. Yes, its an old Toro 824 that was repowered with an 11hp Tecumseh engine. Runs great now that I fixed the hack-job throttle control the previous owner put on it. He tired to rig up a throttle control on the handlebar but it was totally done wrong. I took all that off and got a proper throttle control for it from Ebay and now it runs properly. I think that's why he sold it, he had no clue what he was doing and it ran like [censored] lol. That kit you mentioned, is that the impeller modification? I might do that but I want to see how it works as it is now. I hear these old Toros throw the snow pretty good in stock form.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's the impeller kit.

With that kind of power on a 24" machine, it should throw snow pretty good. Looking forward to hearing how well it performs. Those old Toros are very tough. With ha little maintenance, it should last a good long time. I have a buddy who owns a very similar machine. He's in his 60s and his father had owned it. It's got to be at least 40 years old and still running very well.

Great job on that old Toro! Super nice work.

The only additional thing I'd consider is some more snow hog style tires. No need for chains with them IMO.

Originally Posted By: JTK

The only additional thing I'd consider is some more snow hog style tires. No need for chains with them IMO.

Snow hogs would have an advantage but, the Toro is a fairly heavy machine. The weight should be enough to work well with the tires on it. They look like they'd work OK provided they're not too hard from aging. It helps to not over inflate them as well. Lower air pressure will allow a greater contact area with the ground.

I will have to look those up. Who makes those tires? The ones that are on it are quite hard, I'm guessing original tires.

I will have to look those up. Who makes those tires? The ones that are on it are quite hard, I'm guessing original tires.

The ones on my ~18yr/old MTD/YardMan snowblower are made by Carlisle. On my couple year old Ariens SnowTek, they look the same, but are imported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back