Does anyone else prefer a smaller snowblower?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a walmart special about 12 years old, 5 hp tec snowking engine, no reverse. Also a 7.5hp ariens with a briggs I think, multi forward and two reverse.

I really like the walmart speacial which I think is yard machine or ytd for anything less than a foot of snow. But since I have gotten the used Ariens I use that since I keep it by the door. The Ariens is not bad, just bigger and heavier.

I will shovel if 4 inches or less, if not, start the engines.

1980's Honda HS55 (22" path, 5hp) with tracks. It chugs through the deep stuff and throws it all with ease and can go anywhere, even up stairs. I need nothing more.

I'm pretty happy with my Honda HS520. It does have issues with the plow pile at the end of the drive if you're going into it level or uphill. It seems to tackle the mess just fine going downhill into it though. (Drive is slightly sloped) The only thing i've ever done with it in probably ten years is change the oil every year and replace the scraper bar.

Last edited:
My first snow blower was the li'l engine that could. A 20"4HP Ariens 2 stage. My BIL had rescued it and replaced the solid wheels with aired tires. As long as I could keep the intake out of the snow, it did great. 2nd was a 28" Ariens. It sheared the impeller shaft. Then came a series of Ariens 24"s
Current has a 212CC Predator "Chonda". Its a fixer upper, but I have time and parts. I managed to get 2 passes of my driveway with and reduced the icepack by 1/2. The engine starts easily, has more power, is quieter, uses less fuel and is lighter. I can clean my 150 ft driveway and turn around in short order with little pain afterward.

For walk behind blowers, I always preferred a 10hp machine, wouldn't have anything smaller than 8hp.
I use a JD garden tractor with a blower attachment, but still keep my walk behind for the sidewalk.

Where I live, it is not uncommon to wake up to a foot or more of lake effect snow.
Those smaller 5 or 6 hp units just don't cut it for large accumulations like that.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Work is moving me from South FL to rural NY in the near future. This thread upsets me.... I despise snow.

If you don't mind me asking, what part of NY are you moving to.
Maybe I can fill you in on what to expect weather wise, if I am familiar with the area.

Weather and snowfall varies quite a bit in NY in different regions.

I am North of Syracuse near Tug Hill, we get wild amounts of lake effect snow.
Buffalo area is similar, but not as severe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back