Seized Torque Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Mastercraft (Canadian Tire Brand), small torque wrench measuring in inch-lbs. It's been in storage in my garage for over 10 years. I wanted to use it for my drain plug in my aluminum transfer case. It has a plastic lock ring to unlock it, but the ring seems seized into position and I can't unlock the tool to change the torque setting. Any ideas on how to get the ring to move, such as soaking the tool etc?

Thanks

SF

You may be able to get it free with some penetrating lubricant. The issue will be that the torque specs will most likely be off. Not sure if it's worth sending in for calibration or just replacing the tool.

I have one. You pull the ring away from the head to adjust torque.
I would hold the metal shaft and try wiggling the black handle while trying to free the collar ring.
Was it stored at 0 tension?

Last edited:
Nope. I think it still had a bit of torque selected. My bad. I'll concentrate on getting the ring moved along the axis of the handle. Thanks for the memory jolt. I think you solved it. I'll check it this weekend.

SF

Originally Posted By: cjcride
I would hold the metal shaft and try wiggling the black handle while trying to free the collar ring.
Originally Posted By: cjcride

Came free this weekend using your recommendation. Thanks.

SF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back