Shell Rotella T6 Multi-Vehicle 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I got a bunch of free oil from Shell to try, I felt it was only right to have this done. A prior post puts TBN at 11.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting. I just heard today I'll be receiving some samples as well. Look forward to giving it a try. Which is nice since I use Shell gas in both cars.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Thank you for posting. I just heard today I'll be receiving some samples as well. Look forward to giving it a try. Which is nice since I use Shell gas in both cars.
thumbsup2.gif

Awesome!

Ya know what's funny?

We've seen Lexus/Toyota UOA samples on here with iron that low.... and this is new oil

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Other than the lack of Moly it looks pretty good.

That caught my eye, too, but it does have a gob of boron.
Calcium level is pretty low and it looks to have high ZDDP, which are both good for avoiding LSPI.

Thanks so much for sharing this VOA, I've been curious about this oil for a long time!

thumbsup2.gif

Awesome!

How are y’all getting this stuff for free?

Originally Posted By: volk06

Contacted by someone on here who asked if I wanted to try it. I said yes...
smile.gif

Thanks for that; I was considering getting one done, too, but never got around to it. I like how Blackstone says it's a little thick for a 5w-30. Given that it's an CK-4, E6 lubricant, that should be no surprise. That's a lot of boron, and I'm not surprised about there being a fair shot of magnesium, too. You didn't get TBN, but that's supposed to be 11.0.

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you!

I'll be running this stuff in both of my vehicles. I have a little bit of concern about running it in the Impala, just because that vehicle is exclusively short-tripped (12 miles a day) and I'm not sure if the oil ever reaches operating temperatures. I've been running thinner 5W-30s for that very reason, but I'll give the T6 a shot in that car too.

Contacted by someone on here who asked if I wanted to try it. I said yes...
smile.gif

Hopefully that someone will see this post and offer me some to try for 2 different TGDI applications.

Dynamic viscosity at -4F/-20C for a 5W30?
ASTM D5293 is the CCS test, that should be at -30C for a 5WXX.
Probably just a typo or a bad temp conversion, but that's embarrassing for SOPUS.
I would expect something like that from a PQIA red dot oil maker, not a major...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Dynamic viscosity at -4F/-20C for a 5W30?

That's a typo and already been pointed out to them.
wink.gif
The Canadian sheet has the same error, simply "corrected" to Celsius.

Nice flashpoint. Phosphorous is right at the high limit of SN. I was expecting the viscosity to be closer to 12.5, but 11.85 is getting up there in the 30 range.

thumbsup2.gif

Awesome!

Dont know, i asked the Rotella rep about and got stonewalled. Shame on SOPUS for not answering a oil nerds question about product availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back