Want a hotter t-stat

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car also doesnt get that hot on the inside. It gets lukewarm after a good 10-15 mins of highway driving but it is -20 to -27 celsius outside this week. I have just accepted it.

I had a 2010 Accent in Chicago and Michigan winters with no problems. There was plenty of heat from the little engine. I don't know if the 2008 is different or what.

Last edited:
Buy a nice warm coat, hat and gloves. I like Land's End at Sears, Classic Squall Jacket in black, waterproof/breathable and windproof, 3-ply nylon fabric, Antistatic fleece lining, PolarThin insulation for warmth without the bulk. Norm $80, 50% off = $40.

When mom had her Elantra, it did a poor job staying hot when idling in anything less than 0*F. This was a brand new car. It warmed right back up when taken onto the highway.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I should put the appearance cover back on the motor.

Certainly worth a try.

I wouldn't do the 195 stat; that will cause problems most likely in the summer; your fans will be running no stop trying to keep it at it's designed temp.

FWIW, My Corolla is the same way in cold temps with a brand new thermostat. If it's 20 degrees or below, it takes a bit to warm up, and if I have the blower on and coast a bit, the engine temp will drop. In fact, I've tested it with my infared heat gun and even after driving on the interstate, the thermostat never even opens. Or it does for very tiny short bursts because the lower inlet hose is ice cold. Even after driving for several miles.

The only thing that helps is completely covering the radiator.

I agree with whoever said wear a warmer coat! Just the nature of the beast with small engines.

Hyundai never changed the fan on temp for the two t-stats it seems set at 202F. In the summer with the AC on the fans are on all the time anyway below 35mpg.

It has three relays for the fans, the passenger side one has a high speed circuit and is used in that mode for the AC, it also has slow speed winding for coolant temp. The drivers side is just a slow speed fan. Nice compact setup as far as fans go....

The newer Accent motor is a GDI one vs the older 1.6L. I don't really use this car much in the summer.

In -10F temps and highway driving the t-stat opens at 179F and tries to stay around 181F. After an hour it got to 183F and that was it. So the t-stat is cycling right where it should.

Hope the 195F will fit.

I feel your pain. Our 2002 Avalon will roast you out in minutes. My 2014 Silverado w/ 5.3 GDI will warm up enough to clean the windows and take the chill out but I still need hat and gloves in this weather. I was running errands yesterday and I finally put it on recirculate for the drive home and after almost 20 minutes highway driving I started to get good and warm. This is in 10*F.

We are due for -13F tonight and -14F tomorrow night. I will leave it parked and take the Avalon anywhere I need to go

Got the new t-stat today and unfortunately it's got the same 82C rating. It's a bit shorter but would fit.

I did order a 1500 watt electric heater though for pre conditioning the interior prior to take off....

It can be definitely hard these days to find a thermostat that's outside of the normal OEM range, except when you really don't want to, of course. You can't find a hotter one. Back in the day with the Audi, if you didn't order an OEM style thermostat, you could wind up with one significantly cooler from other suppliers.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
I feel your pain. Our 2002 Avalon will roast you out in minutes. My 2014 Silverado w/ 5.3 GDI will warm up enough to clean the windows and take the chill out but I still need hat and gloves in this weather. I was running errands yesterday and I finally put it on recirculate for the drive home and after almost 20 minutes highway driving I started to get good and warm. This is in 10*F.

We are due for -13F tonight and -14F tomorrow night. I will leave it parked and take the Avalon anywhere I need to go
GM must have cheaped out on the heaters in the newer trucks as my 2004 Silverado had an excellent heater even at those temps.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It can be definitely hard these days to find a thermostat that's outside of the normal OEM range, except when you really don't want to, of course. You can't find a hotter one. Back in the day with the Audi, if you didn't order an OEM style thermostat, you could wind up with one significantly cooler from other suppliers.
Stant list the physical dimensions of it's t-stats. At least the one I ordered from them.

Put the new higher temp one in and it now runs at 188F before it starts to open. The test will be on the highway but no super cold air coming at the moment.

Thermostat is fully open at 203F and the fans come on at 204F.

Should be a nice improvement and I anticipate the extreme cold fully warmed running down the highway temp to be 191F in the very cold below 0F temps. Or just barely open which is what the OE 180F t-stat did but the temp was 181F.

The gasket that comes with the new Stant is not the right one for the MC so look for the three hole t-stat gasket the MC uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back