Oil Recommendations for 2017 Ram w/3.0L ecodiesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob

I have been told by a Jeep Service Writer that FCA MS-10902 is the same as the Cummins CES-20086.

That is correct. And CES 20086 is the successor to CES 20081.

Can anyone recommend filters and economical places to get buy them? I mean both oil and fuel filters.

I don't mind OEM but don't want to pay dealership prices.

Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
Straight from the current Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Supplement, 3rd Edition...

We recommend you use 5W-40 synthetic engine oil such
as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material
Standard MS-10902 and the API CJ-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or
ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

I have been told by a Jeep Service Writer that FCA MS-10902 is the same as the Cummins CES-20086.

The question is, does API-CK4 meet either of the two ACEA specs?

ACEA are European specs. API CJ-4 is an American spec and yes, CK-4 meets an CJ-4 specs. Also notice that it needs to meet API CJ-4 OR ACEA E9 OR ACEA A3/B4. Once you meet the American spec, no one cares about the European spec.

But here is the full meal deal on what specs Shell Rotella T-6 meets. It's from the Rotella website Rotella.com (I hope I don't get Carpal Tunnel.)

API CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 Plus, CI4, CH4

ACEA E9, Jaso DH-2, Cummings CES 20086, Volvo VDS-4.5, Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB- Approval 22831.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
For those interested, the 3.0 liter diesel is not a Cummins engine. They are manufactured in Italy by VM Motori, a subsidiary of Fiat Chrysler.

Yes, that is true, but Chrysler is now calling for the 5w-40 E7, E9 type lube that will have the Cummins and Dodge specs, and the Rotella 5w-40 will satisfy that, versus the C3, which I believe was originally specified for the VM.

BoiseRob took the words right out of my mouth. The A3/B4 thing is interesting. An A3/B4 will work "fine" in a diesel calling for a traditional HDEO. The SA is just a bit higher than what you'd see in an ordinary HDEO on the shelf. So, in answer to BoiseRob's question about the ACEA specs, most mainline HDEO options in CJ-4 and CK-4 will be E7, E9, and Rotella 5w-40 certainly is.

Finding an A3/B4 with CJ-4 or CK-4 won't happen, since the SA limits on CK-4 and CJ-4 are at 1.0, and the A3/B4 SA values I've seen are always above 1.0.

Looks like it meets the credentials. You’re going to find lots of oils that meet these specs. I notiiced Valvoline has been pricing itself aggressively lately. I’ve already purchased a jug of Valvoline 5-30 synthetic for my 6.0 liter chev gas engine.
Anyway, a friendly warning; I have friends who change their oil in gas engines but hate changing oil in Diesel engines because of the stinking mess. Also, be careful documenting everything for your warranty. Keep all your receipts, for all the oil and filters, and the date and mileage of all the oil changes. I used to tape the receipts into a small book. Have fun.

SF

By the way, we left a couple of questions unanswered for MIKEINTX; the question about the change lite vs the fixed 7500 miles, and the question about the UOA’s.

The conservative route is the best answer for the change interval; 75000 miles or when the change light comes on, whatever comes first. (Some might suggest even more often but they are OC. (LOL).)

There are a few UOA places. l’ll leave it to others to field opinions on it. Personally I don’t do it but seems interesting.

SF

Thanks, Snagglefoot. I knew what you meant. I appreciate everyone's input.

Since the dealer wants pretty hefty prices for the changes or oil/fuel filters, I will be looking to do it myself or through another option. But since I just bought it, I have a few months to go before I hit my first OCI.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
friendly warning; I have friends who change their oil in gas engines but hate changing oil in Diesel engines because of the stinking mess.

Actually, I find the oil changes on the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel to be notably easier and less messy than most gassers. The cartridge oil filter is located on top on the engine and doesn't drop a drip while removing and the oil drain plug is downward facing and in easy to reach location. The only reminder I would give someone is to make sure that their catch pan can hold the 10.5qts that drains out.

Originally Posted By: mikeintx
Can anyone recommend filters and economical places to get buy them? I mean both oil and fuel filters.

I buy the OEM Mopar fuel filter from Amazon for half the price as the dealer.

I've been using the Pronto synthetic oil filters from Rockauto.

You'll find that most after market oil filters are actually the same filter just reboxed for different brands. I wish Fram would make an Ultra for the EcoDiesel but I don't see that happening.

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: mikeintx

I buy the OEM Mopar fuel filter from Amazon for half the price as the dealer.

I've been using the Pronto synthetic oil filters from Rockauto.

You'll find that most after market oil filters are actually the same filter just reboxed for different brands. I wish Fram would make an Ultra for the EcoDiesel but I don't see that happening.

Thanks SavgaePatch.... I haven't considered Rockauto. How do the Pronto filters compare to others? I haven't heard of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back