The Cheapest Internet Ammo Thread... Where To Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would start this, so when anyone found a good deal on FMJ 9 MM or .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .380, .22 LR, Or.......??? We could post it here. Let's try to include the delivered price. That way it's easier to do a direct comparison from place to place. Some sites include shipping, while others do not. With so many Internet ammo places, it's good to have a thread so we can sort them all out. Feel free to post any sales or specials you may come across.

I know there are websites that compare. Some even on a cost per round basis. But it's nice to just be able to click on a link if someone comes across anything that's really a deal. With ammo prices steadily dropping, this will be a good way keep on top of all the best sales. So anytime you make a on line ammo purchase, regardless if it's cheap plinking Ball, or expensive self defense stuff, let us know here if you think it's a good deal.

Targrtsportsusa is where I do most of my buying... generally free shipping if you buy 600-1000 rounds, which is a big cost determinant. Never had an issue with CS or turnaround time.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
I typically buy from http://www.sgammo.com/.

You might be able to find a cheaper price, but not better service.

The best.

Great ammo selection. Great prices. Far better than Walmart, which carries junk.

If you're looking for serious SD ammo, these guys are the best. E.g. 1,000 rounds of 9mm Federal HST for $400 delivered.

My LGS (and Walmart) sell HP ammo for about THREE TIMES that price per round.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: KJSmith
I typically buy from http://www.sgammo.com/.

You might be able to find a cheaper price, but not better service.

The best.

Great ammo selection. Great prices. Far better than Walmart, which carries junk.

If you're looking for serious SD ammo, these guys are the best. E.g. 1,000 rounds of 9mm Federal HST for $400 delivered.

My LGS (and Walmart) sell HP ammo for about THREE TIMES that price per round.

That's the best I've ever seen for Federal HST.

Curious about the need for 1000 rds of SD ammo? Prove function with 100 rounds, load your SD mags + a couple of boxes, practice with far cheaper FMJ. Nothing wrong with 1000 rounds, just never thought of having that much SD ammo. Just to have a stash?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Curious about the need for 1000 rds of SD ammo? Prove function with 100 rounds, load your SD mags + a couple of boxes, practice with far cheaper FMJ. Nothing wrong with 1000 rounds, just never thought of having that much SD ammo. Just to have a stash?

You don't need to have a need you only have to want. Did you understand the part about shall not infringe?

If cheapest is all I am after ammoseek.com is a good bet. But I too am a big fan of SGAmmo and usually look there first.

Buying 1,000 rounds of self defense ammo is the consumer equivalent of shopping at Costco. You buy more in order to get the best per unit price. 1,000 rounds of self defense ammunition properly stored will last all but indefinitely. Just like a case of toilet paper or paper towels so big you need a full size SUV to get it home.

.40 cents a round for Federal HST is an absolute steal. Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse routinely sell this stuff for $1.00 a round or more...... If and when they ever have it in stock. Which is practically never. (And mostly it's in 20 round boxes when they do). Most people will not adequately prove out their carry weapon, if it's going to cost them $200.00 or more to run 200 rounds through it. Which is generally considered to be the bare minimum that the weapon should function without a problem. At a buck a shot, they'll shoot few mag fulls and they'll call it good to go. But at .40 cents a round, it's not much worse than 9 MM FMJ Ball was selling for during the Obama election scare.

Originally Posted By: steveh
Most of the time Walmart is cheaper then the online places.

I tend to agree for most calibers. Have had good luck with target sports too. Cabelas on occasion when they had free shipping but that seems to have gone away with the Bass Pro buyout. Walmart tends to be a bit steep on .223 but decent prices on 9mm. The Perfecta was decent for the money. It was made by Fiocchi. Gone now and they no longer carry an exclusive brand. Splitting the purchase with another person is the way to go. Some states are more restrictive also. A non issue in PA.

Well...let’s see, 100 rounds for a function check, and $400 got me 1000 rounds of Federal HST, so let’s say I used it as follows:

Prove function on gun “A” - 100
Prove function on gun “B” -100
Load four mags - 60

Now, if I bought the ammo for $25/20 as most people do, then I would’ve spent $325 on the above.

I spent a bit more, not much more, and have another 750 rounds to verify function in another gun, change out my carry ammo, practice with my carry ammo. It’s a lot like getting 700 rounds of free ammo....good ammo...

Yes, I have a bit of a stash. But I shoot more, for a lot less. And if I buy a new 9mm, I’m not out spending $125 for 100 rounds to verify function, that function check cost only me $40.

If single quarts of oil cost $12.50, who among us would question buying enough oil in jugs to get it at $4? Ammo keeps better and takes up a lot less space than oil.

You don't have to preach to me about 2A. I was asking an honest question to Astro14. 40 cents a round is expensive 9mm shooting if you do it much.

Well, I answered that question...please see the above.

But I also bought FMJ from the same guys for $190 for 1,000 rounds delivered. That’s the practice ammo. And I’ve bought several cases of 9mm, a few cases of .45, a few cases of .40S&W, several cases of .30-06 (Garand load), a couple cases of .38 Super, and, well, you get the idea...

Check out SGAmmo’s site. If you shoot a fair amount, and live where you can still have ammo shipped to you, you’ll save a lot of money on your shooting...or perhaps, spend the same...but shoot a lot more...

Originally Posted By: steveh
Most of the time Walmart is cheaper then the online places.

I don't understand where you are coming from. They are NEVER cheaper. I can routinely ALWAYS buy significantly cheaper on line. And add to that they seldome (if ever) have the brand you want. And even their Tulamo is more expensive.

But anyways..I think Billt put this thread on here not to talk about WHERE you buy your ammo but where you saw and know of a truly good price. For instance a sale on ammo at your usual cheap source.

Last edited:
You must remember that Wal-Mart is everywhere. I have at least 5 of them within 15 minutes of my house. None of them have what I would call good prices on ammo. Let alone have it in ANY quantity, if they have it at all. For years many of them have a 3 box limit on what you could buy. It's insane for me to burn gas and waste my time screwing around driving to Wal-Mart, only to stand in line for 3 boxes of rimfire ammo. That is assuming they even have it stock. Which none of the one's around me have for the last 5 years.

I can go on line and have a case of it shipped to my door for less than Wal-Mart could ever sell it to me for. And not have to screw around buying rimfire ammo for at least a year or more. The other problem is Wal-Mart just carries common loads and calibers. And it's much the same deal. I can buy larger quantities on line cheaper, easier, and don't have to move a muscle except to move it from the front porch to my gun room when it arrives.

There are a lot of products that Wal-Mart sells where it's hard to beat their selection and prices. But ammunition isn't one of them.

9mm is $10.00/box for 50 rounds of FMJ at Walmart.. 45ACP just under $15/box. You will not either much cheaper online.. 38. 357. 380..... 223.22 online makes total sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back