New formula Rotella (ck-4) for gas marine engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running the older formula (cj-4)Rotella 15w-40 in my 04 volvo 4.3gxi. It doesnt appear that the new ck-4 rated oil has a sn rating like the cj-4. Is it rated for gasonline engines? Mire importantly, is it ok to run in marine engines?

Thanks

A lot of marine engines are flat tappet cams. Best to have >800 PPM ZDDP. So it's a searching game to find the HDEO with the right numbers.

Off the top of my head, I'd go with Delo 15W-30 SD (severe duty) as the go-to oil for a while. It's very well respected and has >1,000 PPM ZDDP and a food add pak. You motor should be fine on 30 at op temp unless it has a zillion hours on it ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
A lot of marine engines are flat tappet cams. Best to have >800 PPM ZDDP. So it's a searching game to find the HDEO with the right numbers.

Off the top of my head, I'd go with Delo 15W-30 SD (severe duty) as the go-to oil for a while. It's very well respected and has >1,000 PPM ZDDP and a food add pak. You motor should be fine on 30 at op temp unless it has a zillion hours on it ...

Here is Chevron 15w30SD ran in a lexus UOA

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4528999/1

Here is a side by side VOA of Rotella 5w40 beloved by all for 4 strokes.. CJ vs CK

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...SM_#Post4490450

I guess I could switch to T6 5w-40. It's still gasoline rated.

Last edited:
A lot of this "gas rating" is due to additive level limits to protect catalytic converters. There is nothing in there that will hurt your engine. You have no catalytic converters.

Dump it in, and enjoy.

That's a roller engine for 100% certain.

Stick with a 40 oil. VP stopped using and recommending 30s in that engine for a reason.

If your engine does not have an oil cooler, then definitely stay away from 30. Oil gets nuclear hot in those engines under load.....fast.

They must not have changed the info on the website. Oh well. I'll just keep running this or chevron. Whatever is on sale.

I doubt the formula has changed enough to worry about.
The change was the 'rating' over pressure by the government
and MFGs not wanting anything that might foul the converters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back