Onan 8000/ kubota - 160+ hours 10K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct no emissions treatments or cats on this genny.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
One can argue that the M1 0w-40 isn't the most cost effective solution, but with it having no emissions treatments whatsoever, it'll certainly do the trick.

I thought about cost,

- but Im not really sure how it could really be a whole lot cheaper than what costs now to get the same or roughly the same result.

Its about 15 bones in oil and under ten for the filter.

Especially if I can really get 3, 4, 5 hundred run times - well see this genset gets run every day commercially less in the winter and a more in the summer so Ill rack em on quick.

UD

Honestly, you can probably get really long run times from any decent lube, not just the Mobil 1 ...
Kubota small engines are notorious for lasting seemingly forever, even in third-world countries running the lowliest of lubes.
You could probably run any decent house-brand HDEO, and get the same results.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Honestly, you can probably get really long run times from any decent lube, not just the Mobil 1 ...
Kubota small engines are notorious for lasting seemingly forever, even in third-world countries running the lowliest of lubes.
You could probably run any decent house-brand HDEO, and get the same results.

yeah it made it to 4700+ hours on Onan branded oil with zero drama and a solid maintenance schedule.....house or big name - If its rated, its rated.

Its pretty amazing to me that one can buy such a highly engineered product for the cost of flavored water at a quick stop.

Growing up in peoria I sweat and bleed cat yellow, so I have to fight off the feelings of being a traitor - but all that aside this little mill has been a gem.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
- but Im not really sure how it could really be a whole lot cheaper than what costs now to get the same or roughly the same result.

That is true. If you're extending, it would pay off. Of course, my view on Euro oil costs gets coloured by the fact that at one time here, no Euro oil was in jugs. They were all in 1 L bottles, which distorted the prices heavily and caused a lot of people to seek HDEOs. When $8 a litre was a smoking sale and you had an 8 litre sump, you sometimes looked for alternatives.
wink.gif

Another UOA with excellent results a bit longer run time.
This thing seems to love 0w40, but I agree w Dnewton it can probably do really well on almost anything.

The comment about it being to dark to run a PC surprises me a just a bit.

I changed to a fram ultra xg7317 for the run time difference of 10-20K or what would be about 330 hours of run time.

Ill pull another sample between 169 and 189 to see how it compares but leave the sump in to 250 before pulling again.

Some kubotas have recently been upgraded to 1000 hour OCI's so Im guessing the line is extremely conservative at 150 hours.

UD

Last edited:
Genny's typically run steady-state; equivalent to long highway runs. This would be approximate wear based on 11,300 miles (avg 60mph run). 5ppm in over 11k miles is pretty darn impressive!

You'd better hurry up and sell that thing; it's probably going to die soon - maybe only has another century of life left in it ....
grin.gif

Once society implodes and the world comes to an end, only the cockroaches and that generator will be left to rule the world.

Last edited:
All my diesel gensets to date have been fixed RPM like you describe.

This beast is just a bit different, its an inverter genset and runs at RPM depending on load like a big honda and has plenty of headroom for the vans rather substantial needs.

That said the loads we impose are pretty standardized and on a schedule, the big 15KAC making the biggest difference in the heat of the summers its nearly always run 8-6 with a half hour break every 2.5 hours.

the only negative thing about this power plant is a packaging issue on my end that I have to take it out with a forklift every 1K to get to the belt.

Im wondering if there isn't new belt technology that might give me longer intervals here.

My fixed speed (bigger physically (1100 vs 750) powertech 8000 has dual belt fan drive giving me some redundancy where this thing is buried and a giant PIA.

Even that aside - this Kubi/Onan power plant is a little gem and Im very comfortable having decided on them as base power for the grooming products.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back