Coldest temperature you've cycled in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
salcuta88 said:
I think the lowest I've cycled was about 20F. Last Friday I went riding in 30F to test my new winter pants.

My lowest is around 25 deg F. I'll find some other form of exercise when it's colder out...like shoveling snow or weights indoors. For the gear I wear anything lower than 25 deg. is going to freeze my feet solid. No thanks.

There are freaks out there that must bike no matter what! Riding in really cold weather isn't very healthy either.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far for me is 40°F and a 20mph wind. Got shoe covers for Christmas but my big feet they didn't fit and were the largest size they had.

-31 C this morning - which was milder than the -35 C Environment Canada had predicted.

Slow going with soft tires and all the bearings stiff. My glasses fogged up badly and I had to ride without them (which wasn't too bad - they're a fairly mild prescription). Had lots of layers on, and didn't get too cold.

coldest for me was a hare scramble race, early February. it was 8F out, windy, ice and snow on the ground. I was studded up, and dressed warm in layers, not easy with the gear needed.

This is a two hour race. My drink pack, or the hose actually, was frozen when I was sitting on the line waiting to start.

The only thing that was really bad were my hands, had one layer of cotton gloves, cold weather riding gloves, and elephant ears on the bars, but [censored] were my hands cold. My 250f did great, I think I came in 7th out of about 40 riders, but that was my last cold weather ride. Just too much, I learned to skip the points for that race and come out in April.

I put cyclocross tires on an old steel frame road bike that I converted to single speed. I rode it to campus all year long up in Maine, through feet of snow. I have no idea what the temp was. Cold.

I just took a friend on a short, ten minute fat bike ride in about 3 inches of snow in the state park close to my house. He just bought a frame and fork and was coming over to give me a deposit for a wheelset. He's the same size as my son so he wanted to try my son's bike to get a taste for fat bikes.
Yesterday, I did twelve miles in 20 degree weather with zero wind. Ride was great. This morning, it was 14 degrees with a somewhat healthy NW wind. We figured it was going to be a short ride so we didn't get all crazy suiting up. We lasted about ten minutes and high tailed it back to my truck like a pair of sissies.
I'll go out again later but wearing the same outfit I had on yesterday, washed of course.

Ever: -30F
This year: -25F
Today: -15F

I commute by bicycle year round because I enjoy riding a bicycle. With the correct clothing I get to work and I am warm. Folks who drive automobiles are cold because their vehicles never warm up. I have my heater on full blast the second I roll out of the garage.

Correct clothing for me is multiple layers. Inner layer is a woolen t-shirt with either silk long johns, wool lined pants, or heavy wool pants. Next comes a cotton oxford cloth dress shirt. Then my outer layer is a good fleece jacket. If it below -25F I add a woolen vest under the fleece jacket.

Boots are Kamik winter barn boots, good to -40. For my hands I wear a reflective inner glove with mittens over them, then bar mits on the outside. Mine are from 45Nrth.

Tires are Schwalbe ice spikers. Hydraulic disc brakes. And a leather saddle. I have broken a couple plastic/composite saddles on those below 0F days.

Actually the warm winter days (above 25F) are the worst. The snow melts and turns into slush, then re-freezes leaving ruts which can catch a wheel.

It was -22F 3 years ago is unreasonably cold. I know how to suit up for cold riding and I do zero F regularly but the dog starts lifting paws at 10F. My feet never get cold unless they are planted on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back