Danika loses ride, finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
If they do, it will last until one of them gets seriously hurt, or else does something stupid and winds up hurting someone else.

That's the thing, though. You let them compete only when and where they can. Jorda never got anywhere near close to driving during a race, and the rules are enough to have precluded her on their own, irrespective of gender, and without discrimination on the basis of gender. Jorda would have never gotten a lap time close enough to meet the qualification standards. Normally, when a driver goes for permission to race because they couldn't meet the qualification time, it was because of a car disaster, not a lack of talent.

Further, teams are only willing to take so much in F1 on the basis of money. Pastor and Lance can at least have flashes of brilliance, winding up on podiums, even the top step.

On the other hand, if someone actually has the qualifications for a Super License and has the times consistent enough to qualify well enough, I don't concern myself with gender. If someone like Carmen Jorda were as fast as Pastor, she'd have been on the track. As it was, she probably couldn't even beat a hung over Joylon Palmer with a missing spark plug.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I think women drivers could match the male's toe for toe.

If they could you would have seen it by now. Or at least some resemblance of it on a regular basis. They can't so you don't. There have been enough women in the sport over the years to prove this very fact. And when Danica came along, she proved poor equipment isn't the reason why they're not winning. She had the best money could buy through most of her career.

Remember, no one is being "held back" here. I can guarantee you if a woman showed up, who could turn laps half a second under Castroneves or Dixon. Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti would be in a 3 way brawl, fighting each other to sign her. And as far as Danica, or any other woman's marketing abilities goes. It would be as or more valuable than Tiger Woods in his prime. If they were out there winning races and championships toe to toe with the men on a regular basis. But that has never, and will never happen.

Danica ran 23rd to last for the better part of 6 years. She was only "leading laps" when everyone else was taking gas and tires. Most of the men who were as lousy as her didn't hang around nearly as long. A season or perhaps 2 if they were lucky, before getting kicked to the curb. The exception might be Paul Menard. But his father is a multi billionaire, who has paid to put a lot of winning race cars on the track over many years in the sport. And much like Stroll or Maldonado in Formula 1, he was capable of a top 10 finish or better every now and then. Unlike Danica, the guy actually has some talent.

Besides, all of this is precisely what it contributing to the ruination of NASCAR. Lousy drivers going too slow. Back to Bill Elliot qualifying at 212 MPH over 30 years ago. It's been downhill ever since. Now that the fans are leaving in droves, we're going to torpedo the sport even further, by running a bunch of slow, temperamental women who wreck a lot??

If women could compete on equal terms, and in the process win the same, none of this would be happening. But they have proven since the 70's they can't. EVERYONE was following Danica back in 2005, after she came out of Toyota Atlantic and made her debut at Indianapolis. Because EVERYONE thought we finally had a woman driver who could actually compete at a mans level in the sport. That was not the case. She just ended up being more T&A eye candy in interviews and commercials. With lots of wrecks, along with a few temper tantrums thrown in for good measure. Now most are glad to see her go. Because she hasn't gone anywhere in the sport from a driver skill standpoint. Like so many women, she was paid to look good and sell stuff. And that belongs on a runway or in a magazine, not on a race track.

I'm kind of sorry and a little surprised to see Danica go. I thought NASCAR would pull strings to make sure she had a paying sponsor to keep her in a car. But apparently they don't think they need a token woman in the series. I wanted to see if Danica could eventually become competitive after enough years of experience, but she eventually became symbolic that women can't compete in NASCAR.

Women have been legitimately successful in drag racing (Shirley Muldowney) and tractor pulling (Rodalyn Knox), but these are not sports that require stamina or "feel" for the machinery. Just jam the loud pedal down for a few seconds, and keep the vehicle straight. Shirley was always known as having quick reaction times, but I don't think she did as well when it came to pedaling a car after the rears went up in smoke. But she showed that she had true competitive mettle when she came back after her bad crash in 1984.

I have instructed women in high performance driving on road courses, and have found that they are better than men at following instructions, but they are not as bold at squeezing the gas pedal to WOT as men, and they don't seem have any feel for when the tires are reaching their limit of adhesion. My opinion on the latter issue is that since women are built for birthing babies, maybe their lower regions are not as pressure-sensitive as men's, and they just don't feel the signals of a car losing grip.

I discussed this with my brother once, he said it's just because they don't have balls.

I'm not be necessarily disagreeing with you guys, but look at how most girls are raised. They're not raised to be risk takers or warriors. Too many are treated like Daddy's little princess.

There's not as huge group of women as men who were raised to be aggressive, competitive, independent, and visceral.

Do pampered boys turn out any better?

I think we won't find out any time soon, because pretty much nobody is going to raise a girl like a boy, but I do think that if we had a better pool of girls who were raised to have that "paddle your own canoe" aggressive and independent mentality that many many boys get, it could happen.

Where sheerly physical sports are concerned, maybe not, but I think I could see a female driver with the right mindset go out and take on the men.

I think on a continuum, we certainly could find women who'd kick my butt driving, very obviously. I could never outdrive Jorda or Patrick, despite all their criticisms. I think there is a bit to biology and a fair bit to environment. If you don't give a girl a chance in the first place, it won't happen.

Do pampered boys turn out any better? I don't know; ask Lance Stroll, or even Max Verstappen.
whistle.gif
I couldn't resist that.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I think on a continuum, we certainly could find women who'd kick my butt driving, very obviously. I could never outdrive Jorda or Patrick, despite all their criticisms. I think there is a bit to biology and a fair bit to environment. If you don't give a girl a chance in the first place, it won't happen.

In all fairness and honesty, no one here including myself, is at the pro level in any sport. If we were, we would be pros. None of us could beat a female professional in her sport. But that in no way reflects equality at the professional level in any sport. Be it driving, golf, or tennis. Or for that matter any of the gender separated Olympic sports...... Which is most all of them.

All of this is done for a very obvious and necessary reason. Women are not equal to men in physical stature. Never have been, and never will be. You can't alter the physical makeup that separates the genders. They can't perform equally in any sport, which requires a large amount of physical exertion to perform at the top level. The reason is because they are physically weaker. And no amount of verbal levitation of the female species in our society is going to change that fact. We have become a society of hypocrites in this regard. We want to claim women are equal. Because that's what today's society dictates that we as men must do. If we don't claim this, we are judged to be chauvinistic, sexist, along with a bunch of other more vile modern adjectives.

But if there was ANY truth to ANY of this "equality" nonsense, none of these sports would be separated by gender. Women would compete with the men on equal terms. But they can't, because it wouldn't be fair. So instead society cooks up all of this type of manufactured nonsense, in some silly attempt to mix oil and water in some sports where they think they can be equal. And lowers the physical standards in jobs that are now co-ed, that used to be for men only. Policemen, firemen, combat soldiers, have ALL had the physical standards reduced so women could somehow become "equal" to their male counterparts. If they don't the result is women like Danica.

Perhaps when they can find a way for a man to have a baby, they might be able to actually sell this nonsense. Until they do we'll just keep plugging along in some dim witted, hypocritical attempt at, "sexual equality". So we can all feel good about ourselves. Now that we've managed to back ourselves into yet another corner, at this foolish attempt at achieving political correctness in society. When we all know in reality, it is NEVER going to happen.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Women have been legitimately successful in drag racing (Shirley Muldowney) and tractor pulling (Rodalyn Knox), but these are not sports that require stamina or "feel" for the machinery. Just jam the loud pedal down for a few seconds, and keep the vehicle straight.

With all due respect, while that is a common misconception, it is simply not true in Drag Racing.

I could've gotten behind Danica if she'd been a better competitor. And by that I mean not faster, but a better player of the game. But she was always whining about this or that, and blaming others. She knew that lots of young women looked up to her, and all she could do was [censored] and moan and drop the f bomb every other word. She was not someone I would want on my proffesional team because she had no grasp of the professional part of it.
Off the track, she came off as a narcissistic, pretentious [censored] who thought she was way better looking than she really was.
I say good riddance. I'm looking forward to not having to hear about her anymore.
Btw, I feel the same way about anyone who acts like that regardless of what kind of bits and pieces are between their legs.

In all fairness and honesty, no one here including myself, is at the pro level in any sport. If we were, we would be pros. None of us could beat a female professional in her sport. But that in no way reflects equality at the professional level in any sport. Be it driving, golf, or tennis. Or for that matter any of the gender separated Olympic sports...... Which is most all of them.

I would say curling, driving, and darts give them about the best shot where those physical difference issues are minimised. Of course, within racing, that obviously depends on some of the factors you mentioned. An F1 race isn't terribly long, at least not in comparison to some endurance racing stints.
wink.gif
LMP1 machinery, I'm sure, is just loads of fun on a hot, long day.

Originally Posted By: kawie_guy
I could've gotten behind Danica if she'd been a better competitor. And by that I mean not faster, but a better player of the game. But she was always whining about this or that, and blaming others. She knew that lots of young women looked up to her, and all she could do was [censored] and moan and drop the f bomb every other word. She was not someone I would want on my proffesional team because she had no grasp of the professional part of it.
Off the track, she came off as a narcissistic, pretentious [censored] who thought she was way better looking than she really was.
I say good riddance. I'm looking forward to not having to hear about her anymore.
Btw, I feel the same way about anyone who acts like that regardless of what kind of bits and pieces are between their legs.

Were you cheering for any of the 10 or so NASCAR good ole boys that she beat every race?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Were you cheering for any of the 10 or so NASCAR good ole boys that she beat every race?

Nope. I don't root for good old boys either. They are just as bad as whiners.

You bring up a very good point. She came roaring into NASCAR thinking she was going to set the world on fire. When that didn't happen, she had the potential of changing her game plan, and in the process really rallying everyone, (not just women), to her side. IF she had played the professional side of the whole thing better. But her personality lacked that ability. Because as you said, she was nothing but a shallow, self centered, narcissistic, whiner. And no one enjoys listening to that from anyone on a constant basis. Be it publically or privately.

Had she been polite and respectful instead, and showed her disappointment in a more professional and personal manner, and not started blaming everyone and making excuses, she would have had everyone's support. And in the process built a following that would have been as or more disappointed than she was, every time she wrecked or lost. Most people who like watching sports enjoy rooting for the underdog. But they do it more if that underdog resembles a docile puppy, and not a Pit Bull ready to tear the guts out of the closest thing that comes near it. Multiply that 10 fold if it's a woman.

Her rancid, selfish personality did not allow for any of that to happen. In spite of that she was kept around for her marketing ability. Now that's gone and there is basically nothing left for her to do. Except to return to private life and start a family. And even that's been wrecked much like her race cars. Because Stenhouse got just as fed up with her as her fans did, and left her. When you are little more than a giant, arrogant, PITA, most people don't want to be associated with you. Be it on the track, in the stands, or in your life.

Back on topic, from what I am reading, she hopes to do Daytona and Indy and then retire completely?

From what she is saying, there isn't going to be another season of any kind of racing at all.

She's written a book on wellness and hopes to have a cooking show it seems.

Comments on her going home and cooking something seem to have been accurate.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I just csme across a video I had never seen of her publicly whining to a other driver that she felt kept getting too close to her. Wow. A grown adult. Wow.

There are many. But this was one of the best.

That was the one LOL! I feel bad for him, because he's trying to tell her in the nicest nicest way possible that it's a friggin gladiator arena out there, and she just keeps on going!

Boy, I would have loved to have seen her on the track with some of the REALLY aggressive drivers, like Earnhardt Sr. If he would have figured out that getting near her rear corner made the car light, that would have been the first thing on his racing to-do list.

I thought Hamlin displayed unbelievable patience with her. And after putting up with 6 years of this type of foolishness from her most every time she gets on a racetrack, I can understand why most of the drivers are glad to see her gone for good.

I thought Hamlin displayed unbelievable patience with her. And after putting up with 6 years of this type of foolishness from her most every time she gets on a racetrack, I can understand why most of the drivers are glad to see her gone for good.

Well said. I never cared for her or her whining

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back