XOM Makes Breakthrough on Bio Fuel ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here on BITOG we like oil companies and the energy industry in general, but they are the whipping boy for some folks. Well, none other than king dog Exxon Mobile had a breakthrough this past summer in their bio fuel research. Development of a phylum of algae that converts CO2 into fatty feed stock usable for bio-diesel production, but the difference is that this type of algae can churn out the stuff way more than any other type to date, which has been described as being on an industrial scale of production. For your reading enjoyment:

https://energyfactor.exxonmobil.com/science-technology/fat-fit-algae-biofuel/

XOM have been working with university folks and this company for several years … reckon there are still years to go …

They gotta come out with a fantastic sounding headline every year or 3 to justify the grant money is being spent wisely.

40% lipids. What %age is feasible? How many acres of "marginal land" are needed to make this worth while? How much water per acre? What happens to the GMO algae in the wild?

I would get more excited if XOM gets on the electric bandwagon and produces something efficient for a change.

I don't see burning fuel sticking around much longer once Free energy is harnessed from the sun, etc. it's just a better and cleaner way of living for us all. I'm so sick of smelling NASTY diesel trucks rolling coal down the highway while dumping what smells like gallons and gallons of DEF out the tailpipe. Mmmmm. Nothing like leaving a cloud of black diesel and chemical trail down the highway in the morning.

57.gif

/rant.

Liquid fuels still have pretty good energy density and transportability.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I don't see burning fuel sticking around much longer once Free energy is harnessed from the sun, etc.

What's free about solar? The production sure isn't. We've had "free" energy in the form of hydro-electric for far, FAR longer. It's the 2nd biggest source of generation in China behind coal, and it produces massively more power than solar does, and lasts several times longer.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Last time I checked, Ontario "Hydro" bills, too, were far from "free."
wink.gif

Exactly.

Per kWh rates presently paid in Ontario:

Have been following (off and on) the algae biofuel thing since Uni days (late 1980s).

Biggest issue has always been getting sufficient sunlight into the algae to keep them running, and then keeping the interior of the pipes clean.

It will get there, I'm sure.

One of my future visions is having an algae farm near a thermal power station (we always have a LOT of buffer land), using the waste heat in the cooling water (700MWe, 800MW waste heat in the cooling water) to keep the temperatures optimised (saves cooling water evaporation too), and CO2 harvesting to nourish the algae.

Coastal stations probably have an easier gig.

It's a long way off...if ever.

They produce the thin film and the technology that produces thin film in these magical batteries … of course you would not know that and the green companies don’t want anyone to know that …

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Artem

I don't see burning fuel sticking around much longer once Free energy is harnessed from the sun, etc.

What's free about solar? The production sure isn't. We've had "free" energy in the form of hydro-electric for far, FAR longer. It's the 2nd biggest source of generation in China behind coal, and it produces massively more power than solar does, and lasts several times longer.

A neighbor near me has his entire garage roof covered in solar panels. He also has the entire system designed where on good days, where he produces more energy than consumed, it automatically is sold back to the grid. Overall he still has to buy from the grid, some power, in any given year. The downside is, he paid something like $30-35K for the unit, which he admitted he will never re-coop the cost in his lifetime. He was 65 at the time of installation.

Think low voltage LED lighting on solar\battery is as far as I’d go right now … keep the big stuff on the grid with back up gens

The problem with solar is as Shannow mentioned, you still need some "backup" plants for the cloudy days, and someone has to pay for its "fixed cost".

And on a cold moderate temperature weekend you won't get paid and waste the energy you don't use, unless you have a battery (another fixed cost).

I think liquid fuel for transportation is here to stay, and actually I think algae would be better used feeding fish in a farm than for fuel. Imagine how much more efficient it is to just get cheap fish locally than to use lots of diesel to catch them, transport them, etc than growing corn with natural gas fertilizer to feed the cows.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I think liquid fuel for transportation is here to stay, and actually I think algae would be better used feeding fish in a farm than for fuel. Imagine how much more efficient it is to just get cheap fish locally than to use lots of diesel to catch them, transport them, etc than growing corn with natural gas fertilizer to feed the cows.

I agree...appropriate fuels and technologies for the job.

Coal and Nuke - not easily transportable...use them for stationary applications - electricity, desal, district heat.
Gaseous - not good volumetric efficiency when compressed...pipe them to the end use, cooking, heating and hot water.
Liquids - transport transport transport...good energy density, and replenish in minutes.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
What's free about solar?

The fuel.

So is wind and water, the latter by far, being the most efficient and longest lasting, oh, and isn't intermittent and can actually do baseload.

What's free about solar?

The fuel.

So is wind and water, the latter by far, being the most efficient and longest lasting, oh, and isn't intermittent and can actually do baseload.

Yes you are right. I wonder why you asked?

What's free about solar?

The fuel.

Yes you are right. I wonder why you asked?

I thought, given that I answered my own question in the part excepted from the post you quoted with a small tangent about hydro-electric, that it would be obvious the question was rhetorical
21.gif

Far too many see "solar" as "free" because it doesn't require any fuel once installed, not considering we've had that with hydro-electric for well over 100 years. The same could be said for wind, though I find wind evangelists far less fanatical than those that are trying to Billy Mays you on the merits of solar while glossing over or completely skipping all the ancillary support expenses, something hydro-electric doesn't require.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back