stp oil treatment other uses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a bottle of this laying around is there anything i can use in in besides a engine? I don't want to drain it in my waste oil.

Once upon a time, we used it to coat flat tappet cams during buildup if we didn't have anything else. Has great cling quality, very similar to Motor Honey if they still sell that. Always did the trick for us.

I wonder how well it'd do on a bicycle chain? The thicker the better imo so you won't get any sling-off on your pants.

You could throw a neighborhood party and amaze everyone with the STP screwdriver test.

I'd be willing to bet that you've never been challenged to attempt this test. Now you have everything needed for a good time party.

Never put STP in a manual transmission. It shears down too quickly. Stick with a transmission specific oil even if like Honda they sometimes list engine oil as approved. It's the same with engine oil. In a manual transmission it shears down and over time you will experience increased wear that can be avoided by using that transmission specific oil. I use Red Line MT-90 in my Scion xBox and there are other excellent choices.

I remember reading this in the “Compleat Idiot” VW repair manual. I believe he said that if your tranny popped out of gear to use the STP and start “saving your bread for a new tranny”...

The enthusiasts for the Economy garden tractors I've owned two of (non-synchronized 3-speed automotive type transmission) mix it 50/50 with 80w90 or straight in the transmission to help spin the input shaft down faster so gears don't grind when the fluid gets hot. Just an FYI.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Use it with some oil for chainsaw bar oil.

+1 You could also take a small brush and use it for door hinges etc.

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Think the stp will be a decent gun lube?

.... perhaps if mixed with Marvel Mystery Oil. As-is/by itself?..... probably too thick for tight places inside a handgun.
It also likely does not have anti-rust properties for the bore and definitely too thick to lube actions.

Gun lube ? Yep... works great in a few places, a little goes a long way and is super slick... or mix with motor oil or transmission fluid and adjust the amounts for just the right viscosity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jakewells
I got a bottle of this laying around is there anything i can use in in besides a engine? I don't want to drain it in my waste oil.

With the age of the vehicles in your sig I wouldn't hesitate to pour it in either. It will do no harm, I actually like the stuff, it at least has some ZDDP and other additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back