Winterize distilled water, how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running straight distilled water in my windshield washer fluid reservoir.

I want to "winterize" it down to about 15 degrees.

Can I just add some kind of alcohol? If so, what kind and mix ratio?

I don't want to use the off-the-shelf stuff from the parts store.

It probably won't make financial sense. Windshield washer fluid is a mixture of methanol and water. The lower the freezing point, the more methanol. We get a mixture here that good to -20F and it's about $1.58 at Walmart. Buying methanol or isopropyl alone is probably going to be a lot more expensive. Isopropyl is easier to get, but it may damage the paint which is why methanol is preferred. Methanol is supposed to be bad for the environment which is why they stop selling it around here during the summer and only do the winter mix in cold weather.

Yes, also usually on specials one can get washer fluid for ~$1.

Even Walmart has them for cheap.

But isopropyl is a safe choice, provided if that's the ONLY one option.

Isopropyl alcohol should not harm the paint in any way.

Aircraft use washer fluid made from isopropyl, not methanol. It's less corrosive.

I buy orange Prestone deicer and run it year round. Why bother to mix your own? I thnk it has ammonia in it also. Or it seemed to smell like ammonia when I was filling the reservoir.

what's wrong with off-the-shelf washer fluid?
smile.gif

I am really cheap, but, the premium antifreeze that prevents refreezing works great. The premium antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which does not evaporate like alcohol. Prestone makes this, among others. The worlds cheapest human says go ahead and treat yourself :)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
what's wrong with off-the-shelf washer fluid?
smile.gif

I seem to remember a very similar post about not wanting to use off the shelf washer fluid a year or two ago. I asked the same question as you. The OP got quite testy but never stated what he had against the blue stuff.

I switch out seasonally so I don't have to use the bottled washer fluid in the summer and save some money. I've learned not to use blue dishwashing soap for the summer to avoid confusion. Any other color soap but not blue.

To the OP, If you want to add alcohol to the existing water mix or even if you use the bottled fluid, make sure to push the new fluid through so the existing water doesn't freeze in the lines.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
I am really cheap, but, the premium antifreeze that prevents refreezing works great. The premium antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which does not evaporate like alcohol. Prestone makes this, among others. The worlds cheapest human says go ahead and treat yourself :)

I can be cheap too, but usually antifreeze is more than windshield washer fluid. There's really no cheaper alternative than the stuff you buy at the store. Only really cheap alternative is to reduce the concentration of methanol by adding water to it to lower the percentage of methanol and to increase the freezing point.

I use the Rain-X or the Meijers imitation Rain x washer fluid that supposedly doesn't freeze and also coats the glass with a rain x type substance. Seems to help a little, not stunning. $2.50 to $3.00 typically per gallon.

OP here, not cheap. The reason I use straight distilled water is:
1. It hardly ever hard freezes here in south Texas.
2. The distilled water does a great job of cleaning the glass without leaving soap residue.

Next week we're going to have 5-7 days of low 20's at night - that's VERY cold for us!

Just trying to keep the washer fluid from freezing without leaving glycol/soap residue.

Can you just remove your windshield washer bottle for the duration of the cold event?

If they salt the roads though you're going to want something to clean your windscreen.

isopropyl alcohol can remove wax on your paint.

I'd probably grab some clean tubing and siphon some water out and add washer fluid.

Or just spray it out onto window.. then add.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
OP here, not cheap. The reason I use straight distilled water is:
1. It hardly ever hard freezes here in south Texas.
2. The distilled water does a great job of cleaning the glass without leaving soap residue.

Next week we're going to have 5-7 days of low 20's at night - that's VERY cold for us!

Just trying to keep the washer fluid from freezing without leaving glycol/soap residue.

cool
thumbsup2.gif

I found this page that gives the freezing points for various water/alcohol mixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back