Is the Baldwin B-164 a good bypass filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I crossed the B164 to a Fleetguard LF778. I have an information request in to Fleetguard to find out the micron rating of the Fleetguard version...they tend to have better filters generally.

Please let me know what you find out. I just wished there was a three party (similar to Consumer Reports) who would rate all these so called by-pass filters.
Quote:

I am also going to start looking into running a HF6604 with a restriction...they have a 1 micron rating at 95%. And they have a pretty good "dirt" holding capacity...expensive, but I feel they would be a very good filter...

Who makes the HF6604? Does it require a different filter base unit than the Baldwin?

Thanks,

Griz95

Quote:

According to This site, the HF6604 has a 3 micron "rating" and is a fuel filter?

Straight from Fleetguard (and HF=hydraulic filter) 1u @ 95%, 3u @ 98.6%, and 5u @ 99.5%...that website you list should also show a FASS, which is what I run for a fuel system. The HF uses synthetic fibers (I had one apart)...

steved

Quote:

Who makes the HF6604? Does it require a different filter base unit than the Baldwin?

Thanks,

Griz95

HF6604 is a hydraulic filter made by Fleetguard. It does require a different base, I can get that for you if interested...the seal surface is actually tapered.

steved

Quote:

Quote:

I must be a computer dummy or something. I have seen others who have posted them but can't figure it out myself.
confused.gif

Griz95

Don't feel alone...I'm the same way....

steved

Typing out the data is best for the board. To post a report image you can do a screen capture and edit it in MSPaint. You then need a remote hosting site like Imagestation or Imageshack to upload it to. You then link to the remotely hosted image. The problem is, if your account goes bye-bye ..then the post loses all the data.

The best/easiest thing is to copy someone else's typed in UOA and then just edit in your numbers.

To do a screen cap, just open the PDF file. Hit the PNTSCRN button on your keyboard. This copies the screen to the clipboard. Open MSPAINT and go to EDIT on the pull down menu and select "PASTE". You may need to do a couple of screen captures to get the information to reside in the view correctly. You'll then cut out the browser part of the image leaving just the important part of the UOA. You then save it as a JPEG (not the massive Bitmap default). Name it.

Upload - link to
dunno.gif

Thanks Gary for that lesson on computer imaging. I have been trying to figure out for some time how to go about that! No I can finally post those reports so other can see them!

sdeeter...how much does this base cost? What type of fittings does it take? And how much are the HF6604 filters?

Griz95

Quote:

sdeeter...how much does this base cost? What type of fittings does it take? And how much are the HF6604 filters?

Griz95

The filters cost around $40 a piece (if you hunt around for them) and the base was around $20 IIRC...I just found a Luber-Finer bypass I'm going to try, just to be different!

steved

Patienty awaiting the results..

Please make sure you write detailed steps as to how you got your first oil analysis, and how you got it after the bypass filter was installed..
smile.gif
smile.gif

I actually folded and changed my oil.
frown.gif
I HAD to find out if this new CJ-4 motor oil is worth the extra cost.. I only had about 8k on my last oil change with the B50 and it did exceptionally well according to the particle count.

I will test it again.. and again.. and again.. Just to make sure that the last result wasn't a fluke.

Quote:

Quote:

Griz95

The filters cost around $40 a piece (if you hunt around for them) and the base was around $20 IIRC...I just found a Luber-Finer bypass I'm going to try, just to be different!

steved

The filter base # xref's to Wix ..and therefore NAPA ..and therefore Fleetfilter. Last time I checked the filter head was about $24 from my local, service oriented (cough-cough = expensive) NAPA.

I asked Cummins this question:

What is the micron rating of the LF778?

I am looking for a bypass filter (and associated mounting head) that will filter into the 1 to 3 micron range.

Thanks,
Steve

Fleetmaster:

Steve, the LF778 has a micron rating of 10 Micron at 98% efficient and 5 Micron at 95% efficient. This filter is made for Carrier and we do not offer the head that is used with this filter and application.

We do offer the LF777 and head (3304173S) that filters the same size particles.

The LF778 is a bypass filter...but it obviously isn't a real good choice, but I guess it would be an option??

steved

I wish we could get a final answer on what rating these filters are at..

In any case, but this stuff into perspective. Lets say that it only filters down to 10um.

Put into perspective, 10 Micron =

"Microbes are dispersed from skin cells, and a human body sheds the outermost layer of skin every 24 hours.

1 BILLION SKIN FLAKES EVERY 24 HOURS.

A skin flake is typically 33 microns - 44 microns. They break down to typically 20µ (micron) but 7-10% are less than 10µ (micron). The equivalent diameter of bacteria carrying particles is 12-14µ (micron). These settle by gravity at 0.37 meters per second."

12-14µ (micron) size particles will settle in wounds of hospital patients and aseptically filled containers in pharmaceutical applications by gravity."

http://www.mvent.com.ph/references/cleanroom.htm

Or:

Beach Sand 100 to 2000 microns
Human Hair 40 to 300 microns
Mold Spores 10 to 30 microns
Pollens 10 to 1000 microns
Fertilizer 10 to 1000 microns

http://www.lakeair.com/index-2_b.htm

Which is a point that I made a long time ago.. While many bypass filters may filter to a finer micron then 10um, the actual benefit to cost isn't enough to justify it.

Or, put another way: at what point is enough filtration enough, and how do you determine it? Why stop at 2-3 micron in size? Why stop at .1 micron in size? Where does it end and why?

(Thats a general question to anyone who wants to answer)

I should have also added:

The Fleetguard LF778 is the same as the Baldwin B-164, which both cross to a Wix 51704. So you have the answer from Fleetguard for their filter...10u @ 98.6% and 5u @ 95%. And you have another option of where to buy filters...

95% @ 5u isn't that bad actually, if you think about it...

steved

I just found somthing odd...Wix lists the LF778 as 28u nominal and the LF777 as 5u nominal. I guess different applications and therefore different requirements???

That LF777 is a big filter...4.7 inches diameter and almost 10 inches long.

steved

Quote:

And what is the normal flow rate for the PSD with a 1/16 orifice and 1/4" diameter hose?

I took off the return line from the by-pass (B-164) today and measured the flow rate. It was 1 3/4 qts. per minute at idle. The oil was room temperature at the time.

Quote:

Quote:

And what is the normal flow rate for the PSD with a 1/16 orifice and 1/4" diameter hose?

I took off the return line from the by-pass (B-164) today and measured the flow rate. It was 1 3/4 qts. per minute at idle. The oil was room temperature at the time.

That's slightly more than mine, but that could be temperature or oil viscosity differences.

That's still not enough to pull enough oil from the fullflow to cause any problems...

steved

Okay...Thanks. For now I am going to go with this by-pass for a while any way and see what my next UOA report looks like.

Griz95

I wonder whatever happened.... any updates?

I have the parts to add a Baldwin B164 to my truck, I'll do it for fun and see if I can get good particle counts before and after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back