Anyone Know of a Good High Capacity Oil Drain Pan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current drain pan that I got for free just leaked from the seams on my garage floor. I'm looking for one around the range of 15-20 quarts

California?

cool.gif

Yo DoubleWasp, I went to the link (thanks) but I gotta express reservations over any of those catch pans which have the "enclosed top".

The one I used ONCE was a slightly different style but still quite similar.

The exiting oil hits the "top" and splashes quite a bit.

My current and best pan to date came from HomeDepot. Found in the concrete/mortar section. I believe it is sold for mixing mortar. Nice and thick, stout. Probably same as the one mentioned a few posts back.

Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
My current and best pan to date came from HomeDepot. Found in the concrete/mortar section. I believe it is sold for mixing mortar. Nice and thick, stout. Probably same as the one mentioned a few posts back.

These are easily the best and last the longest.

Never store used oil inside a "drain pan". Drain your oil - then transfer to a suitable container.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

The HD tub is sure big enough, how is it to drain into a jug?

If you are careful and use a supported funnel - no prob.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Yo DoubleWasp, I went to the link (thanks) but I gotta express reservations over any of those catch pans which have the "enclosed top".

The one I used ONCE was a slightly different style but still quite similar.

The exiting oil hits the "top" and splashes quite a bit.

Tis true. I used that one to drain my Ram and the oil 99% splashed out of the pan.

Wasn't sure what your situation was, but just a suggestion.

Some of the ones suggested in this thread are too small for the OP.

The mortar mixing tub, I am sure, will work with oil that is not hot but how does the PVC stand up to 170 degree oil? I like to drain the oil really really hot.

After having tried a few different ones to drain 28 quart oil sumps on trucks, I settled on a plain old galvanized tub. They are available in different sizes. These are not tall and I don't have to jack up the trucks to get them under the drain plug.
https://www.amazon.com/Behrens-3-OV-16-Gallon-Oval-Steel/dp/B002YJJJKW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1514338670&sr=8-2&keywords=galvanized%2Btub&th=1

Thanks guys! After thinking about it for a while I realized that I only need a 16 quart container. I realized that not draining the drain pan into another container probably caused it to leak and make a mess
blush.gif
. I have a five gallon jug thick enough and durable enough that I can use to store the oil for later disposal. I forgot that Walmart sells them as well and found this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16-Qt-Drain-C...9hvYpTMGiUHB0jk

Has anyone tried this one?

I cut the top 1 inch off an orange home depot 5 gallon bucket for draining my '15 superduty diesel. The 1 inch cut off was required to be able to slide it completely upright under the running boards. works fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boom10ful
Thanks guys! After thinking about it for a while I realized that I only need a 16 quart container. I realized that not draining the drain pan into another container probably caused it to leak and make a mess
blush.gif
. I have a five gallon jug thick enough and durable enough that I can use to store the oil for later disposal. I forgot that Walmart sells them as well and found this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16-Qt-Drain-C...9hvYpTMGiUHB0jk

Has anyone tried this one?

Thats the one i have, havent had any issues changing the oil and filter in my truck. Easy to pour back into a jug too

For friends of mine with diesel vehicles as pickups, cars and what not I use a old oil drum that’s cut off at first bottom rib. Works great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back