Yet another van battle scar..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

My darling bride was rushing around getting the kids out the door for school last week or so when we had a lot of snow. My 6yr/old thought he would help mom out by clearing snow off the van. Problem was, he used a metal edged plastic snow shovel that was within reach.
shocked2.gif

I can't look at it too long without wanting to cry, so this poor quality pic is just a small sampling. It looks like a pack of grizzly bears ran across the hood. Merry Christmas and I love kids.

Poor thing. Gotta give the little one credit for trying to help, though - but maybe he'll learn about "the right tool
for the job" soon.
laugh.gif

My mother-in-law's Caravan (2010 with 236K) is beat up, end to end, and the interior smells like the trashiest McDonalds you've been in. Deer, the gravel driveway, 4 kids with little concept of trash or crumbs... I just try to keep the oil in liquid form and somewhere North of the end of the dipstick. She hit a deer with it back in November and the small dents it left on the left front fender and sliding side door blend right in.

Aw, it's kids. Comes with the territory ...

Get some Ajax cleanser and a soft wash mitt. Warm water and a big dollop of Ajax powder on the mitt, rub gently and most of it will go away. Won't harm the paint. Better than rubbing compound in almost all cases
smile.gif

Go get some meguiars scratch x or ultimate compound. Both very safe, especially by hand. It should make a big improvement. Leave the Ajax in the kitchen.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Get some Ajax cleanser and a soft wash mitt. Warm water and a big dollop of Ajax powder on the mitt, rub gently and most of it will go away. Won't harm the paint. Better than rubbing compound in almost all cases
smile.gif

When I was little I wanted to impress my dad by washing the car. I used Ajax powder since that Chevy was really dirty. I did a number on that paint job. He left it as it was as a reminder until he sold it a couple of years later.

Good tips! Thanks. The scratches appear to be deeper than the clear-coat, but not to the metal. If I polish the area with silicone spray and a clean rag, they'll hide for a few hours. LOL!

I'm pretty well adapted to kid calamity. Got four of'em. 15, 13, 12, 6. We're on our 4th minivan in 15yrs. Only the first made it through without much issue since it had an easier life.

The little guy felt bad when I discovered what happened. Of course I had to notice it. No one told me. I showed him proper snow removal tools, technique and why.

Sorry to see that. At least it was your helpful child with a good work ethic, not some lazy slob in a parking lot.

Smile and fix it. Get your six year old interested in the process. Make it a learning process.

Looks like it might polish out. I'd start there.

I've had good luck using a Porter Cable random orbital sander, Lake Country buffing pads and 3M swirl mark remover (you get it at an auto body supplier). If you're not comfortable doing it yourself take it to an auto detailer.

Best of luck!

i remember washing my fathers car when i was a kid, an 87 cutlass. used brillow pad on the chrome bumpers, he was pretty mad.

When I was a young teen I washed my mom’s Buick Rendezvous with a yellow and green ScotchBrite sponge. On the bird poop I used the green side.

That was a mistake
crackmeup2.gif

I watched a kid playing garden hose gas station once on his parents car. Thankfully I wasn't involved and didn't understand what was going on at the time anyway.
05.gif

Hah, reminds me of when I was about 3. Dad is a bodyman/painter and was doing some sidework on a damaged van. He was beating out a panel when I decided to help by taking a hammer down the other whole side of the van. Whoops
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Yep.

Learn to laugh it off.

Praise them for trying to help - then SHOW THEM the RIGHT way!

My dad would've beat me for doing that. It's not the right response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: JTK
I watched a kid playing garden hose gas station once on his parents car. Thankfully I wasn't involved and didn't understand what was going on at the time anyway.
05.gif

eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back