Cheated me on the grease? WTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am dipping marine grease out of can with piece of paint stick, and expose a hole the size of a quarter, and there is a cone shaped void all the way to the shiny bottom of the can!!!
confused2.gif
I have probably used 20 cans or so in my lifetime, and have always had full cans, same size.
It is hard to tell from pic, but there is a huge void under that hole. Have I been duped, or is the can WAY too big for the amount of grease they are selling by the weight?

I would think something such as grease would appear partially filled if they intended to sell it as such.

That does seem odd. It is sold by weight not volume, so the only way to know for sure is to weigh it.

They sell it by weight.

I've used an air powered grease pump with Termaline and the grease sticks to itself such that it forms voids and then the pump starts chugging air.

The answer is to slam the pail, which rarely works. Then I glove up and massage the goop to burp the air out.

They may sell it by 'weight', but their not weighing every can after the filling machine.

Their Filling Machine must of had an air pocket come up thru the hose.

Justice must be done.
I'd call the Company and explain it to them.
They should send you another can of grease.

You're right, they probably don't weigh every can. They probably weigh 100 cans and then investigate if it doesn't weigh 100 lbs. So, they basically weigh every can.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
You're right, they probably don't weigh every can. They probably weigh 100 cans and then investigate if it doesn't weigh 100 lbs. So, they basically weigh every can.

The correct way would be to weigh every can and if one is rejected,
it goes down the reject shute (to be further investigated).

But no big deal, OP just needs to contact Customer Service.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They sell it by weight.

I've used an air powered grease pump with Termaline and the grease sticks to itself such that it forms voids and then the pump starts chugging air.

The answer is to slam the pail, which rarely works. Then I glove up and massage the goop to burp the air out.

Stand the pail near somewhere hot, the grease will pool again.

Claud.

So much lol here, "Then I glove up and massage the goop to burp the air out." "Government conspiracy to cheat you out of two dollars","Justice must be done.
I'd call the Company and explain it to them."
"They should send you another can of grease."
I am not worried about 2 dollars, or that it is not "full" , I believe what ever one is saying, sold by weight. But why not use a smaller can then? Got one pound of grease in a two pound can. And it will not "settle out" as one mentioned, it has seen august heat of over 100 degrees. But i will weigh it,, just outta curiosity.....

I would guess the cans are filled on an automated line that as it spins around the filler tubes go to the bottom, start to squirt in the grease and pull out as the machine rotates. This is all done with cams. Maybe a sticky filler tube or a void int eh grease going to the filler tube and it injected air? No way do the weigh each can.

Use to watch them fill quarts of Miracle Whip at 450 a minute with the mechanical fillers.

They probably do weigh every can, modern line equipment is incredibly fast. Even chips are packaged by weight and every bag gets weighed as it's being filled and sealed.

Caveat emptor. Small things in large packages. Look at coffee, bacon, you name it. Hard to find a one pound package anymore but the package size remaines the same.Trickory is running rampant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back