Onan 8000/ kubota - 160+ hours 10K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Feels to me like I can easily hit 200, if not 250-300 hours with this combo.

Any guesses to where the condemnation point will be?

UD

This genset is a very youthful 5 years and 4750 ish hours on it.

if it were an auto running At the equivalent of 60 MPH it would be @ 285,000 miles now.

it has been maintained faithfully to onan spec until now- we will start extending the OCI as per the data set available.

UD

Youll have issues with the gen head bearings/brushes, etc before this motor wears out.
I see its a little D722. Is it one of those setups where they have the diesel running at governed RPM of 3000 and a serpentine belt to overdrive the generator to 3600RPM?

Its a brushless design (unlike my powertech 8K I just redid the electrical end at 2K hours)

No- Its a variable RPM inverter unit that never runs 3600 RPM more like 1800 to 2500 Rpm when it runs.

after having multiple gasoline units die from simply being worn out Im curious to see what the multiplier really is on the kubota.

UD

Last edited:
I know of a D905 Kubota spinning a Marathon 6.5Kw in a Terex/Amida at a very remote signals location for the US D.O.D - It runs almost 24/7/365 at 1800 and the last time I saw the hobbs meter (several years ago) it said 24,780 hours. As far as I know, it's still doing it's thing.

What was the time of the OCI? (duration)

I think you could easily extend 50% all things being equal
(seasons/weather,load etc)

Run time on oil was 169 hours as it Noted at the top right of the report.

UD

haha - nope.

I wouldn't pay for a uoa on virgin oil.

I have multiple of these very expensive combos at work and don't wish to put more man hours in than I need to.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Agree with Linctex on the 1k hour. That looks like it would work out to about once a year for you.

That would be an awesome interval if it holds up. I really never hoped it could be more than 250-350. 500 was a dream.

The sump is relatively tiny - 3 quarts.

Well see how that data pans out and Ill add genset 2 and 3 fairly soon.

hardcore Bitoggers still haven't asked the question yet.

UD

He'll have to answer why he specifically chose this product, but it is suitable for diesel engines. It just is a little overkill in the SA department for CJ-4 or CK-4. You'd probably see a CF on the back of the jug, and the B4 part of the A3/B4 is rather robust.

1) UOA is stellar; very low wear, low contamination, other characteristics all in fine shape
2) why a non-diesel engine oil? (apparently it's working fine, but the risk is that if you would have an unforeseen issue, the warranty may well be denied)
3) 500 hours is a MIN given this performance; 1000 hours not out of the question

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Warranty period was 24 months or 2K hours. I used Onan Oil and filters during the warranty period.
As Cummins infiltrates Onan product line the filters kept changing so I used genuine kubota filters.

This particular run was filtered with a microgreen, bitogs favorite thread buster, and I was pleasantly surprised to see only a trace of insolubles and an excellent filtration comment from Blackstone. Im surmising its tiny microdisk will only hold so much and once I reach its tipping point Ill basically report within averages, but so far so good.

I run 0w40 in lots of devices so I tend to have it on hand.
It meets spec, is relatively inexpensive and easy to acquire..

500 would be phenomenal, Ill keep ratcheting up the time and reporting back. Its a pain to change the way its set up.

Once I get the formula Ill basically mirror it on genset 2 with maybe one UOA to make sure everything's as it should be.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
haha - nope.

I have multiple of these very expensive combos at work and don't wish to put more man hours in than I need to.

UD

Didn't mean literally.
smile.gif

Just that it looked that good.

Not sure of the spec, but would not surprise me if it's CF rated.
I just read an article in Diesel Power magazine about a little air/oil-cooled Kubota 6hp engine. CF rated there too. So small Kubie engines with CF ratings are not without precedent.

Not that it matters. If a 50/50 mix of goat milk and dog urine turned in these kinds of numbers, then that's exactly what I'd use!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
haha - nope.

UD

Didn't mean literally.
smile.gif

Just that it looked that good.

I was surprised myself.

I've never had any UOA I've ever done on any engine (and Ive been doing them about 30 years) come back with a 9.9 TBN after that many hours of service. Not that 169 hours is some kind of huge time, but for a tiny sump and relatively tiny spin on filter I figured Id be a lot closer to the edge than this.

DN3- That little air cooled kubie looks like it would be good enough to stop me from looking for a lister 6/1 to replace my gas Yamaha as a home backup unit - I'm intrigued.

UD

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Not sure of the spec, but would not surprise me if it's CF rated.
I just read an article in Diesel Power magazine about a little air/oil-cooled Kubota 6hp engine. CF rated there too. So small Kubie engines with CF ratings are not without precedent.

I would gather the A3/B4 would be sufficient and then some, particularly if there's not a bunch of DPF and other silly stuff on there, which is quite unlikely.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back