Will Subway restaurants be around in 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was an avid fan of Subway in my younger years, which was also back before the Jared days and I seem to recall that they really loaded it up back then.

I have tried eating it a few times recently but it seriously lacks substance. I can usually get by with one of their meatball or tuna sandwiches, but anything with cold cuts is just gross.

They are privately owned so there's no stock price to judge how they're doing, but I think one of their advantages to a franchise owner is low cost of start up. You could put one into a tiny strip mall space and no need for gas lines or stoves. Everything apparently is shipped in each morning (including the shredded lettuce), you bake some bread, and you're all set.

Where I live, it's not unusual for a Subway to be the first fast food restaurant that pops up in the VERY small towns nearby. However, will the average consumer continue to put up with their offerings?

How's McDonald's still around? There are so many better sandwich and burger places that have popped up recently that I think they've lost relevance.

First, I'll admit that I never was the huge fan of Subway food.
With that being said, the Casey's gas/convenience stores (at least in my area) have taken a huge chunk out of Subway's revenue. Not only do you get more for your money, but they have jalapeno bread that a lot of the locals seem to like.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
How's McDonald's still around? There are so many better sandwich and burger places that have popped up recently that I think they've lost relevance.

Yes and the local McCafe up the street a little over two miles doesn't have a single employee under thirty they are always busy and the service is great. Everyone speaks fluent English!

I remember the days when Subway used to slice the meat extremely thin and then stack it on the sandwich in bunches instead of laying each slice spread out flat like they do now. I also remember when they used to bake the bread on site and have the clear glass ovens visible to the customer. The smell of the bread baking was awesome.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Fast food isn't really food.

I appreciate your participation CT8, but if you don't like or eat fast food (and judge others who do) then why do you always throw in your 2 cents? You made a very similar remark in the "worst food you've eaten recently" thread.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I remember the days when Subway used to slice the meat extremely thin and then stack it on the sandwich in bunches instead of laying each slice spread out flat like they do now. I also remember when they used to bake the bread on site and have the clear glass ovens visible to the customer. The smell of the bread baking was awesome.

I thought they still baked the bread on-site in those tall glass door ovens? However, the dough is premade and shaped somewhere else. Their bread is tasteless. It wasn’t like that before. All their meat is turkey and or chicken based.

They need to get back to basics. All the micro-managing of costs has ruined their products. Also, competition is tougher now. Jimmy Johns is growing and offers another choice that right now people are going to.

If they continue on this course, they will go under here real soon.

Subway used to be good. Then prices went up and the amount of food went down. They have become super stingy on toppings. I just avoid it now.

Haven't been to Subway in years. We had a Jimmy Johns for a while and I really liked it. I either go to Jersey Mike's or a locally owned sandwich shop when I want a sub.

Used to be something that we ate every 4-5 weeks, grab some subbies and go to a park to get some fresh air and eat.

Thought that our tastes had changed, but the commentary in the thread is spot on.

not sure what has happened to the bread, but it tastes a bit funny...PLUS there's a lot of it...and the green bell pepper is now the dominant flavour.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Used to be something that we ate every 4-5 weeks, grab some subbies and go to a park to get some fresh air and eat.

Thought that our tastes had changed, but the commentary in the thread is spot on.

not sure what has happened to the bread, but it tastes a bit funny...PLUS there's a lot of it...and the green bell pepper is now the dominant flavour.

Subway must be doing terrible indeed if you guys down in Australia have the exact same concerns! And spot about the bell pepper!

Was Subway ever good? It was just perceived as the "healthier" alternative to McDonald's.

been eating subway for 30 + years. before the use of gloves. its cracks me up when i tell subway employees about the gloves.

in my area , a lot of them are owned by Indian immigrants. i avoid them like the plague. They give the bare minimum of condiments. from what i have read most subways don't really make a lot of profit. franchaisees revolted with the $5 foot long specials.

I use to like their food a long time ago, can't really say why I don't eat there any more. I guess I've just gotten bored with their selection. Honestly since someone mentioned it I think they would probably do well in the premium coffee business as they kinda already fill a niche market.

I noticed the same thing mentioned about the Indian-owned franchises when I was in the DC area a while back. They didn't have the large cups but they charged me for a large, I had to tell them how many slices of meat to put on my Italian BMT as they tried to cheat me, and they had regular pop in the diet coke fountain. Not impressed.

There is a 7/11 type chain that's been growing in my area that's called Quickcheck....they also sell gasoline. They have a Subway style sandwich counter in each location and the quality is much better than Subway. The prices aren't great but they do run 'specials' which are decent.....their coffee is good but a little pricier than I like....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back