30,000 mile drains, police cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been driving company pick up trucks for over 35 years .

At first , the trucks were a mixed bag & I checked the oil at every fuel stop .

Last truck I received was a new 2008 Silverado . 3000 mile OCI , Quaker State dino oil . With 150,000 + miles on the clock , I never check the oil . Have never been told , at the quick change place , that it was low on oil .

One , the boss is buying new trucks , now . Two , this truck & maybe the previous one , I am the only person to drive it . Three , they may be making the engines better , than in days gone by ?

Last edited:
4-6 years ago the Massachusetts State Police changed their fleet over to M1 0-20AFE and increase their OCIs to 10K I believe. They hooked up with XM for monitoring the fleet. I wonder how that worked out?

Working in law enforcement for an agency that has over 1800 sworn pursuit vehicles, and an additional 400 admin vehicles, in Florida, I call [censored].

None of our vehicles aside from some newer Fords have an hour counter anywhere in the OBDII system or ECU. And, I can promise you that nobody is scanning either of those thigns when my vehicle goes in for PM service (I've had a piece of scotch tape over the OBDII port for 30k miles now).

Speaking specifically to our old fleet which was composed mostly of 2008-2013 Chevrolet Impala PPVs (2008-2010's with the 3.9 liter 3900 variable displacement OHV V6 and 2011's on with the 3.6 PHC high feature V6).

My 2008 Impala got Formula Shell 5w-30 Conventional at Jiffy Lube with a horrible knock-off generic filter. My vehicle ran 5000 miles before being changed. To be clear, an average shift included responding to at least 4 emergency calls for service. Each of those entailed at least 8 to 10 WOT accelerations from a standstill up to past 100mph, followed immediately by threshold braking to a complete stop. Then, the cars are either left to idle for hours (to keep our computers from shutting off due to the heat of the cabin or we have a badguy inside) OR they are shut off immediately after arriving at the call. Some genius also thought it would be a good idea to run K&N air filters fleet-wide. Yay!

Units covered an average of 80 miles per shift. Divide by 5000 miles and that's 62.5 shifts, or 500-625 WOT drag races past 100mph per oil change. Minimum.

This issue is compounded by the fact that on both the 3900 and High feature V6, heat was unable to be effectively removed from the engine compartment and melted wiring harnesses, dead batteries, and even deformed polymer intake manifolds were commonplace. The AC routinely shut off after a pursuit if speeds did not exceed 30 mph.

Idling was essentially the entire shift. So, 62.5 * 11.5 hours (not counting overtime or off duty traffic details). So, a conservative estimate of 718.75 hours on each run. K9 vehicles have to run every hour of every day that the dog is inside the vehicle (again, Florida heat), and they get hammered as well (K9 vehicles are all Chevy Tahoe PPVs with the 5.3). Also, the impala batteries would be completely dead after 7 days of sitting. So parasitic losses were high, along with the massive electrical loads present during use (and all had DRLs except mine where I pulled the fuse). Car radio, Car siren and light controller box, 180 watt laptop charger, portable radio charger, flashlight charger, cellphone charger, car stereo playing, etc.

By 118k miles on my old Impala, I was burning a quart of oil every three shifts. I refilled with Mobil-1 10w-30 HM, and was religious about checking all my fluids, but it didn't make much difference. All pursuit vehicles are kept to 140k miles. All admin vehicles until 170k.

So, For Polk County (not far from me, though VASTLY smaller in manpower), the decision may have worked out. Even with full syn 10w-30 oil with a fram ultra filter, there's little chance we could do the same on our vehicles.

Originally Posted By: BufordTJustice
So, For Polk County (not far from me, though VASTLY smaller in manpower), the decision may have worked out. Even with full syn 10w-30 oil with a fram ultra filter, there's little chance we could do the same on our vehicles.
Good oil story. Tackling gators, criminals, drunks, and hurricanes in FL has got to be a good time, right?

Polk using MicroGreens and synthetic oil should be fine, especially if the oil is kept topped off, and they restore some lost addtives (maybe using something similar to Berryman's https://www.berrymanproducts.com/product...in-spreadsheet/ which contains anti-oxidants and other stuff to extend the interval.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: BufordTJustice
Good oil story. Tackling gators, criminals, drunks, and hurricanes in FL has got to be a good time, right?

Polk using MicroGreens and synthetic oil should be fine, especially if the oil is kept topped off, and they restore some lost addtives (maybe using something similar to Berryman's https://www.berrymanproducts.com/product...in-spreadsheet/ which contains anti-oxidants and other stuff to extend the interval.

Well, I'm in a different role in my agency now. But it was fun. No gators. Lots of narcotics trafficking, tho. Also, The Mouse kept things interesting.

Regardless of oil used, there isn't an oil/filter/additive combo that would last 30k in my agency's vehicles. Just no way to do it. And I'm fearful that some penny pinching idiot will read that article and begin to shift our fleet in this direction. It appears Polk will be fine....but they also haven't stated how long they keep their vehicles. If they auction-off trashed vehicles at 80-100k, they'll likely be fine.

20 years of state police service on 24,000 oci's using Delvac 1 5w-40 with Napa Gold, now Wix filters every 8,000 miles along with a top off and inspection. Cars run between 100,000 to 150,000 miles before auction. No UOA's. Protocol was established more than 20 years ago after testing involving tear downs by fleet mechanics. If an engine were to blow it would be big news. They don't. Fords and Chevys through the years, does not matter. A service involves significant travel and for many of us is an all day event and more than 100 miles each way.

Originally Posted By: tig1
4-6 years ago the Massachusetts State Police changed their fleet over to M1 0-20AFE and increase their OCIs to 10K I believe. They hooked up with XM for monitoring the fleet. I wonder how that worked out?

Buford Justice,
Notice my post 3 months ago. The police fleet XM worked with was under XMs watchful eye, and runs 10K OCIs not 30K. Yes I agree with you that 30K OCIs are far too long, and XM agrees with you as well.

Last edited:
That 3 filter change and top off will means the 30k OCI is actually a 20k OCI. If the vehicles put on lots of mile it actually make sense. M1AP guarantees it already.

This look like a promotion project someone does to justify the staffing and equipment purchase. It may not be cheaper than changing dino and filter at Jiffy Lube every 5k. Gov employee headcounts are more expensive than low wage grease monkey.

Oh yeah???

We run a fleet of 1999 VW Jetta Diesels here at the Waffle House corporate office.

Each one of our vehicles is given any oil that we find for a nickel a quart at Advance Auto Parts (now you know why you can't find them) and a Fram Ultra for a 20,000 mile OCI. We only buy our filters when you can combine the Walmart discount with the Fram and Ibotta rebates along with a 7% discount from RetailMeNot, a 5% discount from Discover, and a 3% discount from Upromiseibreakit. This reduces our cost to twenty-seven cents each.

No car is ever allowed to accelerate higher than 3000 rpm. Violators are forced to listen to random Yoko Ono songs for 2 hours. No exceptions! Each car averages 50 miles per gallon and we require tire replacements every 90,000 miles. Those are only done when Discount Tire has their $230 offer on Continentals which reduces our cost on a set of tires to $118.

Recently I have received a new job as the Maintenance Supervisor at the Polk County Police Department. Guess which cars they'll be driving next?

All the best

Roscoe P Coltrane

Originally Posted By: macarose
Oh yeah???

We run a fleet of 1999 VW Jetta Diesels here at the Waffle House corporate office.

Each one of our vehicles is given any oil that we find for a nickel a quart at Advance Auto Parts (now you know why you can't find them) and a Fram Ultra for a 20,000 mile OCI. We only buy our filters when you can combine the Walmart discount with the Fram and Ibotta rebates along with a 7% discount from RetailMeNot, a 5% discount from Discover, and a 3% discount from Upromiseibreakit. This reduces our cost to twenty-seven cents each.

No car is ever allowed to accelerate higher than 3000 rpm. Violators are forced to listen to random Yoko Ono songs for 2 hours. No exceptions! Each car averages 50 miles per gallon and we require tire replacements every 90,000 miles. Those are only done when Discount Tire has their $230 offer on Continentals which reduces our cost on a set of tires to $118.

Recently I have received a new job as the Maintenance Supervisor at the Polk County Police Department. Guess which cars they'll be driving next?

All the best

Roscoe P Coltrane

Didn't know you could still buy VW diesels in the US any longer. A friend of mine took the VW buy back and claims he will never buy VW again.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back