keeping dielectric grease from drying out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This stuff irritates me because the tube is always dried out when I need some. I always spend extra and get a big tube that goes to waste. I might be confusing this with caliper grease, but don't the autoparts stores sell those little grease packets? Maybe I should get a bunch of those then not much will be lost if it dries out from opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find putting the cap back on has prevented this issue for me.

Been using the same tube for several years.

I've never had this issue. I too buy the large tube and keep it for years in the garage. This tube is exposed to a very hot garage in the summertime to a very cold garage in the wintertime as well Each time I use the tube of dielectric grease, it's perfect. Same with my caliper/brake grease even after several years, it's perfect!

Maybe youre buying junk stuff?

My CRC grease that I bought in 2002 is still perfect. Ditto for the heavier jet lube stuff that I got more recently.

I have never ever heard of dielectric grease drying up in a tube. My tube in the garage is at least 10 years old and its as good today as it was 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
This stuff irritates me because the tube is always dried out when I need some. I always spend extra and get a big tube that goes to waste. I might be confusing this with caliper grease, but don't the autoparts stores sell those little grease packets? Maybe I should get a bunch of those then not much will be lost if it dries out from opening.

What are you using the grease on? Electronic components?
When I was an electronics tech decades ago I would come across grease on output transistors that has dried out to a chalky crust because of the heat.
I use silicone grease on auto motive applications today.

I use permatex brand and it never dries out. The one issue and it ALWAYS happens is the cap cracks horizontally around the circumference of the cap. Still holds up for many years with the cap off. One of the times of JB Weld ALWAYS does the exact same thing. Toothpaste sized tubes all
mad.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back