L.C. Smith double barrel 12 gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serial # R 127047 which matches #'s on the forehand, receiver, and barrels. It's the base field grade and is probably an 8 out of 10. It has the original ivory bead, nice wood and checkering, very nice barrels with some faded bluing around the receiver. I shot it and it shoots very well and is nice and tight. I don't have a pic but this link shows Hickock45 shooting a base model field grade LC Smith. My local gunsmith has the one I'm interested in on consignment for $600. Any opinions or advice is appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lc+smith+12+gauge+shotgun

What are you going to do with it? If it's for a collection, by all means step up and get that one
smile.gif

If it's for regular field work, I'd go somewhere else ... The barrels can't take modern shot (too much wear, to quickly).

Nothing wrong with base field grade. It's a good honest piece that shows at just that
smile.gif

I should add that you’ll want low pressure loads in this. I would be shooting low brass with lead shot only; no steel. It would be best to talk to a reputable gunsmith about the proper ammo, as I’m going on my memory from years ago.

UPDATE: Snagged the old L.C. Smith Saturday afternoon. I've already named her Elsie and I can't keep my hands off her.
blush.gif
Brocluno, she'll be a wall hanger and only shot occasionally. Bandito, Good point on finding some low brass low pressure lead loads for her. The tight wood to metal fit and the pristine screw heads on the side lock plate, trigger guard and stock butt plate are telling me she may have never been apart. I'm going to have either the LC Smith owners club, or the Buffalo Bill museum of the west in Cody Wyoming run the serial #'s down to find out exactly what year she was born.

Originally Posted By: billt460
PICS, PICS, PICS!!!

^ I'll get the wife to post a few in the next day or so. I'm still struggling with the VCR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back