Dutton-Lainson Company

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for something that will spray ATF/Acetone 50/50 mix. You guys think maybe these oil cans will work ? What about the acetone eventually evaporating out of the ATF ? Could that happen ?

Dutton-Lainson

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud
acetone evaporates fast!

Yes I know, but will it not evaporate if it's mixed 50/50 with transmission fluid ?

Originally Posted By: Farmer
It's going to be like salad dressing. It separates, so yes it will evaporate.

I'm surprised they would separate being that they're both petroleum based.

Those look like nice products and Made in USA, thanks for the link. If exposed to open air, acetone evaporates easily and rapidly regardless of whether it's in an ATF mix but it looks to me like those oil cans are sealed pretty good. I may buy one. About acetone separating from ATF, if anyone wants to watch it happen they need to pack a lunch. It's going to be a long long wait.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Farmer
It's going to be like salad dressing. It separates, so yes it will evaporate.

I'm surprised they would separate being that they're both petroleum based.

Time to go back and learn.

Hm I actually have the non spray version of those cans. It's a gold colored reservoir with a flexible tip.

It's over built for what it is lol. Very solid.

Not sure if it'll handle a solvent since I just put motor oil in mine to spot oil machines.

Merk buy a "sure-shot" its sealed so the mix wont evaporate so quick... they are more expensive though. I have several at work for different fluids.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Time to go back and learn.

It's not rocket science here. Lacquer thinner, Acetone, Mineral Spirits, and Gasoline are all made from crude oil. They will all cut petroleum based oils that are made from crude oil. Most chemicals are either Water Based, Alcohol Based, or Petroleum Based. Alcohol based and petroleum based fluids will not mix. Water won't mix with petroleum based oils either.

Originally Posted By: Superflop
Merk buy a "sure-shot" its sealed so the mix wont evaporate so quick... they are more expensive though. I have several at work for different fluids.

You beat me to it. Sure-shot for the win

I'm outta acetone, I used E10 and used ATF when I tried it. Didnt smell as good as PB Blaster. In truth, straight diesel in a squirt can works as good as anything else. A side-wise tap or 2 helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back