0W-40 - Castrol vs Mobil vs Pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does PAO based really mean. Can you prove exact percentages and how that weighs into the ability to get BMW stuff …
It’s like on some pedestal that you should understand some are not bending over for when BMW is 2% of the US car market …
And a high percentage of leased cars …
So GTL technology is chopped liver to you?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
What does PAO based really mean. Can you prove exact percentages and how that weighs into the ability to get BMW stuff …
It’s like on some pedestal that you should understand some are not bending over for when BMW is 2% of the US car market …
And a high percentage of leased cars …
So GTL technology is chopped liver to you?

I was merely stating facts about the three oils and ended it with an opinion as to which I think is best. I didn’t realize that was so controversial.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I think you may be talking about Pennzoil "Ultra Platinum" (SRT) 0w40.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro should have ACEA and API specs as well as the Euro manufacturer approvals.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I think where Falcon LS is they only get the SRT version of the 0w40.

Thank you, gentlemen - that is exactly what I was thinking of since Pennzoil products here are only sold though Dodge/Chrysler dealers. The comparable product here would be Shell Helix Ultra 0W-40.

No 0w-xx GTL oil will get the BMW LL-01. You cant have a longlife oil that is cleaning the engine too much. BMW longlife is pretty stupid. BTW Castrol 0w-40 is nowdays HC synthese. The German castrol 0w-40 is vollsynthese(old formula)

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
No 0w-xx GTL oil will get the BMW LL-01. You cant have a longlife oil that is cleaning the engine too much. BMW longlife is pretty stupid. BTW Castrol 0w-40 is nowdays HC synthese. The German castrol 0w-40 is vollsynthese(old formula)

Thanks for joining so you could bring us that insight.

You must be quite the insider?

No experience with the Pennzoil, but I’ve run both Castrol and Mobil 0w-40 for years. Only difference I’ve noticed was a slower rate of consumption with Castrol. My 07 Mercedes E350 would consume a quart of M1 around 4.5k. With Castrol it was closer to 6k. This was the pre Titanium Castrol. Without any scientific proof of performance I am always more concerned about availability. Either of these 2 price wise seem to be within close range of each other. Like other posters have commented, the Pennzoil offerings are a little more convoluted.

The SDS for EDGE 0W-40 from August 2017 (most recent) would beg to differ. It is still PAO.

Yeah still pao but under 80%. Before it had 90% Pao. So its classed in Germany HC synthese.

Ah, I see. Still amongst the highest PAO concentrations (if not the highest) of any readily available and affordable PCMO, though.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

The SDS for EDGE 0W-40 from August 2017 (most recent) would beg to differ. It is still PAO.

New pds indicates PAO 25-50%.
Since it is officially classified in Germany as HC oil, that means PAO is below 50%.

So if posters are saying 0w40 Castrol started at 90% PAO and was considered "Synthetic" to German standards, since has dropped to HC status in Germany. Is this when it switched to being produced in Germany to Hungary or wherever its made now?

So if to be considered "Synthetic" to Germany standards is over 50% PAO, it now sits at under 30% so now its basically a Group 3 Oil now? mmmmm

May be time for me to give the Redline 5w30 a try now. I am out of warranty on my VW and I only drive the car like 2k miles a year. Maybe the Group 5 base stocks would be better for me and the cold starts of not driving my VW for weeks at a time? Thoughts on that?

Jeff

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
So if posters are saying 0w40 Castrol started at 90% PAO and was considered "Synthetic" to German standards, since has dropped to HC status in Germany. Is this when it switched to being produced in Germany to Hungary or wherever its made now?

So if to be considered "Synthetic" to Germany standards is over 50% PAO, it now sits at under 30% so now its basically a Group 3 Oil now? mmmmm

May be time for me to give the Redline 5w30 a try now. I am out of warranty on my VW and I only drive the car like 2k miles a year. Maybe the Group 5 base stocks would be better for me and the cold starts of not driving my VW for weeks at a time? Thoughts on that?

For your application, how is the current Castrol 0W-40 deficient as opposed to what it may have been or was before? Did it lose a specification you require?

Also, you have temperatures there in California that are "cold starts" which even come anywhere near where a 0W oil makes a difference?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

For your application, how is the current Castrol 0W-40 deficient as opposed to what it may have been or was before? Did it lose a specification you require?

Also, you have temperatures there in California that are "cold starts" which even come anywhere near where a 0W oil makes a difference?

No it didn't lose its spec and what I mean by "Cold" start should really be "Dry" start. If you dont drive your car for a month you can cause allot of wear waiting for the oil to get to all the metal surfaces. Ester Based Oils like Redline are supposed to cling to the metal more tenaciously than PAO or GTL type oils.

So in my cars case, being driven so little, the Ester Base Stocks of Redline may help reduce "Dry" start wear.

That is my theory to why I want to try it.

As for 0w oils? Doesn't matter where you live, a 0w oil is going to flow quickly to get your oil circulating as quick as possible. It may be minimal difference in warmer climates vs extreme cold climates, yet still useful I am sure.

Jeff

Last edited:
As for 0w oils? Doesn't matter where you live, a 0w oil is going to flow quickly to get your oil circulating as quick as possible. It may be minimal difference in warmer climates vs extreme cold climates, yet still useful I am sure.

No, not at all. Some 0W oils of the same grade are thicker than the equivalent 5W except at extremely low temperatures. Besides, as long as it is pumpable then the flow will be more or less the same.

My old BMW used to live outside in northern Wisconsin where it could get to -25F and lower in the winter. Thet's the only place you will see a difference between a 5W and a 0W, and even then it is pretty small.

Jeff

It actually retained same performance. Pour point increased though from -60c to -51c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back