Amsoil singnature series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
The problem is that oil brands sell the Acea c3 oils of viscosity 5w30 or 0w30 and they have no good tbn. Yes i can use 0w-40 acea a3 in my honda but when its winter its not good.
There is no Mobil 1 EP or any ILSAC GF 5 oils in Finland except for toyota 0w-20 but its 17€ liter at the dealer.

The Amsoil European Car Formula has a TBN of 8 and meets ACEA-3 requirements (5w30). (AEL)
Pour Point: -51C (-59.9F)

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf

Last edited:
Yes. Problem is wrong spec of oil in my car and they dont sell amsoil here in stores even if i wanted to buy it

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Oh I see... Can you order online?

All i want is you sharing your experience with amsoil products. I am from scandinavia and they dont sell amsoil products in the stores so i did order online. Have read a lot of good things about the company.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Oh I see... Can you order online?

All i want is you sharing your experience with amsoil products. I am from scandinavia and they dont sell amsoil products in the stores so i did order online. Have read a lot of good things about the company.

Thanks I can read.... There is a reason I asked the question.

All the brands except for pennzoil. We have Shell

I think that some of the Shell oils sold in Europe are the same as some of the Pennzoil oils sold here.

I think Amsoil makes excellent oils but I've never used them because of availability....in other words I can get other excellent oils a lot easier and usually cheaper too. The other thing is that I have never gone over 9K on an OCI so it would probably be wasteful for me...(I used to be a 3K OCI guy and have built up to 5 to 6K on dino and 7 to 10K on synthetic (I haven't actually gone 10K yet but plan to...)

I'm sure your Honda will last hundreds of thousands of miles (or K's) on just about any good oil....

Originally Posted By: pbm
All the brands except for pennzoil. We have Shell

I think that some of the Shell oils sold in Europe are the same as some of the Pennzoil oils sold here.

I think Amsoil makes excellent oils but I've never used them because of availability....in other words I can get other excellent oils a lot easier and usually cheaper too. The other thing is that I have never gone over 9K on an OCI so it would probably be wasteful for me...(I used to be a 3K OCI guy and have built up to 5 to 6K on dino and 7 to 10K on synthetic (I haven't actually gone 10K yet but plan to...)

I'm sure your Honda will last hundreds of thousands of miles (or K's) on just about any good oil....

That was my understanding as well. Shell Helix = Pennzoil. That should be able to match specs for most vehicles.

When does Amsoil have a 25% off sale? I've never seen or heard of it.

[/quote]When they have their 25% off sale I combine this with my PC membership savings amount and points from past purchases and it works out to $28 CDN ($21.51 US) per gallon jug.

Plus with it having a high TBN and doing great on UOA's I would normally run this longer than the "off the shelf" stuff so there is cost savings there too. There will be a huge cost savings when I put in the bypass filtration unit. Initial high cost up front but savings after the first year and then in consecutive years using it and transferring to the next vehicle. Plus the time savings of not having to do an oil change hardly ever.
[/quote]

Last edited:
Yepp they do have the most car spec of all brands and its a awsome oil. But for now when winter is coming i need a thinner oil and the normal viscosity they sell in stores for petrol cars is 0w-40 and 5w-40.
Winter can be as cold as -30 C

Yepp they do have the most car spec of all brands and its a awsome oil. But for now when winter is coming i need a thinner oil and the normal viscosity they sell in stores for petrol cars is 0w-40 and 5w-40.
Winter can be as cold as -30 C

0WXX oil is tested for cold cranking at -35C and pumpability at -40C, and 5WXX is tested for the same at -30C/-35C. The "XX" doesn't matter for the cold performance testing, they all have to meet the same specs.
Now, there are some oils that will have more margin than others in meeting their cold performance specs, but an oil that meets 0W cold specs must be marketed as a 0W and not a 5W, for example. The exception here is oils marketed as straight grades, some oils that are sold as SAE30 are known to be able to meet 10W30 cold specs.
Maybe you are not interested in 0W40 oils because they will be more viscous than what you have been using at normal operating temperatures, but they should be fine for your cold start needs...5W40 might also be OK, but I will say that I have experienced some 5W30s starting much better than others in the down to -25F/-32C temperatures that I will occasionally experience in the White Mountains on ski weekends where I park outside overnight. My next oil change later this month will use M1 0W30 AFE if I can find a dexos1 Gen 2 jug of that or Pennzoil Gold 5W30 that had extremely good cold test results for its grade.

From a land of ACEA A3B4, MB229.5 LL01 with minimum TBN of 10, in the context of oil specifications and OEM approvals, why would one consider Signature Series which are likely much more pricier ?
27.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment. But a 5w-30 acea a1 flows better than a acea a3 0w-40 in -20 celcius in the real world.

Thanks for your comment. But a 5w-30 acea a1 flows better than a acea a3 0w-40 in -20 celcius in the real world.

If it pumps it flows.

Overkill for anything but a track car. I don't understand why people put it or Redline in street cars. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol and Valvoline synthetics all are more than adequate for a street machine and all can be had for much much less with rebates and sales deals. I used to use Amsoil, until I realized I was basically paying for an overpriced brew of Mobil 1 since they get their oil from Exxon according to sources on this board.

Originally Posted By: Uregina09

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Uregina09

That's not a sale. It is just advertising the price you get everytime with a preferred customer membership.

PBM, don't be afraid... I just went over 17k on a PUP 0W-20 OCI with zero added oil... and only ended up with 18ppm iron and a TBN still at 2.9. Dnewton3 kinda convinced me that I can likely make it to 20k OCIs with how my engine and oil choice have been working together. Now I just need the intestinal fortitude to put it off that long!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back