Car and Driver's Top 10 picks for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
On top of everything else said here, C&D selects these cars without regard as to their reliability. Try driving that top 10 list to 100k miles and see what the maintenance costs are. There are a few that might be ok but many would eat you out of house and home.
C&D only drives and rates them, they don’t live with them long term like we do. They do have a long term test with the cars at the back of the magazine, but what amazes me is how, when they take their car to the dealer for service or an issue, most of the time they have great dealer service. Never seems to work like that foe me....could it be that the dealer knows this is a C&D car and that they have to do their best? ....or else. They can publish their results.

Originally Posted By: ssamaroo01
I gave up on these 10 best lists. They seem very biased like they are getting paid to praise some of these cars.

ALL editorial writing is biased ... that's what "editorial writing" MEANS. It's got entertainment value; don't read more into it than was meant by the authors. No-one is going to buy a car because it's on one of C&D's many 10-best lists; they will read the full reviews of cars they are considering. Plus test drive a few.

C&D is not afraid to reveal their bias in the stories they publish, so it's not like they're hiding anything. If you want to read articles that, essentially, say every car is wonderful, read Motor Trend.

I think I would trust Jeremy on Grand Tour the most.
Of course that may be why I got a two year subscription for $10 too.

Last edited:
FAKE CAR NEWS
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Al
FAKE CAR NEWS
27.gif

Are you an AMG E43 denier? I wouldn't mind picking up a used one in 4-5 years, probably under 30k at that stage.

Oh and I just checked, looks like the E400 sedan is now showing as available on MB's website.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Wolf,

Why not just buy it brand new ?

I already have a couple of Benz's and they're both fine so it'll be a while.

Plus at about 80k, depreciation probably amounts to 40-50k over 4-5 years so about 10k a year. Still pretty steep, once you hit 4-5 years, it slows down a bit so it's probably worth about 10-12k after 10 years so 20k over 5-6 years is more like 3-4k a year. About what a new Toyota or Honda suffers when it's new.

C&D 10 Best

I would say that these are certainly among the best cars you can buy new.

The only questionable auto on that list, (IMHO) is the Alfa. I'm sure it's a pleasure to drive while it's all working. My experience with Alfa is that it won't be often.

No cars must cost over $80,000 unless they are amazing, significantly redesigned or repeat winners, then why even say that. Also I like the part where it said we clammer into the back seats to check the car over, really bet the Corvette and Miata took a long time. I am not taking anything away from the Corvette or Miata but to say a Challenger Demon is not practical and that they are is bull.
I could take a family of four on vacation with a Dodge Challenger Hellcat ( not sure a Demon has a back seat), not happening with half of their Top picks. I am going to write them and tell them they suck because I am a subscriber.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
No cars must cost over $80,000 unless they are amazing, significantly redesigned or repeat winners, then why even say that. Also I like the part where it said we clammer into the back seats to check the car over, really bet the Corvette and Miata took a long time. I am not taking anything away from the Corvette or Miata but to say a Challenger Demon is not practical and that they are is bull.
I could take a family of four on vacation with a Dodge Challenger Hellcat ( not sure a Demon has a back seat), not happening with half of their Top picks. I am going to write them and tell them they suck because I am a subscriber.

Too bad I stopped reading it years ago. Their letters are usually pretty funny.

I think the Demon is 85k so it just doesn't make it due to the 80k cut off. The E43 is a cheap AMG which starts at 72k. Corvette and Miata is way below that. My boss had a post mid life crisis and bought a Corvette a couple years ago, he gets more compliments on that car than he does on his daily driver which is an Audi A8 L which was about double the price of a Corvette. The tires that it came with wore out after only 10k. How's that for not practical? 1k for new tires every 10k. Or maybe he'll get lucky and get 15-20k out of the replacement set.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Too bad I stopped reading it years ago. Their letters are usually pretty funny.

I think the Demon is 85k so it just doesn't make it due to the 80k cut off. The E43 is a cheap AMG which starts at 72k. Corvette and Miata is way below that. My boss had a post mid life crisis and bought a Corvette a couple years ago, he gets more compliments on that car than he does on his daily driver which is an Audi A8 L which was about double the price of a Corvette. The tires that it came with wore out after only 10k. How's that for not practical? 1k for new tires every 10k. Or maybe he'll get lucky and get 15-20k out of the replacement set.

Well, they are high performance tires...they aren't gonna last 80K...

OEM are designed to wear out very quickly.

That way if there is NVH, the OEM tire manufacturer if off the hook once they are replaced.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
C&D 10 Best

I would say that these are certainly among the best cars you can buy new.

The only questionable auto on that list, (IMHO) is the Alfa. I'm sure it's a pleasure to drive while it's all working. My experience with Alfa is that it won't be often.

Agreed; if I was buying a new car there is a good chance it would be one of the RWD or AWD cars on that list- although I prefer the Mustang GT Performance Package Level 2 to the Camaro SS 1LE and the M2 to the Cayman- primarily from a practicality standpoint.

It's often said that any car enthusiast should own an Italian car at least once.

The Giulia may be that car for many people. Lease it and get it out of your driveway before the warranty is up. You get to have an Italian car for a while and Fiat gets to foot the inevitable warranty costs.

In the long run, it's probably the cheapest way to own a real Italian car.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

It's often said that any car enthusiast should own an Italian car at least once.

The Giulia may be that car for many people. Lease it and get it out of your driveway before the warranty is up. You get to have an Italian car for a while and Fiat gets to foot the inevitable warranty costs.

In the long run, it's probably the cheapest way to own a real Italian car.

I've thought of leasing a Giulia Ti- if only the rates were more attractive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back