Do you have a favorite Christmas light color(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The LED lights are just awful. They are completely devoid of the Christmas light "warmth".

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
The LED lights are just awful. They are completely devoid of the Christmas light "warmth".

I agree. I love the old school kind,those large bulbs that were meant for outdoor use only that I remember from the 1970s. They had that warm wintery glow.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

I agree. LED have a weird glow to them that just don't look right. Especially the blue and purple ones (BTW, Purple is not a Christmas color, they look good for Halloween though).
All the LED "white" I see are the 6000k bluish color. Can't seem to find warm white in LED.

I still have a bunch of warm while mini lights I do the house with. I also have several strands of blue mini lights from when we first moved into the house 20 years ago (no idea if they even work anymore, guess I should check).
I still have not put up the lights outside yet, kids are bugging me to do it, so maybe this week.

For inside, I like all white on a green tree (I don't like flocked or colored trees). Ornaments bring color to the tree. NO flashing/blinking lights.

I like the combination of green + red lights for outdoor decoration. For single color displays I've seen some really stunning looking blue lighting.

My favorite indoor look is from my childhood: A silver tree with red glass ornaments and color changing wheel - I used to sit on the floor and watch it in wonder.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Greggy_D said:
All the LED "white" I see are the 6000k bluish color. Can't seem to find warm white in LED.

Home Depot has plenty of warm white LED strands. I like the latest iterations a lot, they are about indistinguishable from the old lights. They've got the color temperature down below 2500K, and they've tossed in rectifiers and better phosphor LEDs to eliminate flicker. The early ones, even allegedly "warm" white, were still too close to 3000k, and also prone to flicker.

As far as multi-color, LOVE the deep, saturated colors of LED multicolor strings. They look like a brand new set of the old incandescent lights did, but they don't fade to pastel colors after a single season. The bright "electric" blue ones do look weird- your eyes can't quite seem to focus on them. But even that can be a really cool effect sometimes. See the panorama below with the single blue wrapped tree in a bunch of warm white wrapped trees (this is an electric cooperative headquarters in Texas that does this to their trees every year, its absolutely mind-boggling.)
nunI4Z7.jpg

My favorite for Christmas is not red or green. It's blue and it signals my spiritual preference / flavor. I keep my front porch light on and it's shining blue 24/7... from Dec 1 through Dec 25.

Originally Posted By: Touring5
I like the combination of green + red lights for outdoor decoration. For single color displays I've seen some really stunning looking blue lighting.

My favorite indoor look is from my childhood: A silver tree with red glass ornaments and color changing wheel - I used to sit on the floor and watch it in wonder.

My grandma had the color wheel when I was a kid. Loved it

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
These are the kind I like.

Wow, my parents had that same brand and type some 50 years ago. I like the look, but every bulb uses as much power as a string of LEDs. They also had the even bigger size to outline the eaves of the house.

Those are C9 bulbs--the kind I said would raise a blister.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD

Those are C9 bulbs--the kind I said would raise a blister.
laugh.gif

Absolutely!! Those things would get HOT!! I remember people putting them on real indoor trees,guessing they'd melt the artificial ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back