Hot Tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I'm 1/2 Scot and have been enjoying tea for over a 1/2 century.

Get a tea strainer /infuser, add 1 rounded tsp of LOOSE whole leaf ASSAM BLACK" and pour boiling water over the tea and then put a lid on it for 10 mins. I like mine with a 1/4 tsp of Manuka honey sourced NZ/ Oceana. Most local honeys will kill the tea flavor.

We get our Black in bulk from Frontier Foods CO-OP online.

Teavana at the Mall ? - Mehh and pricey.

Later if you bore of the assam, add a pinch or more of a nice china green tips to add some bite.

Just got some Taylor's of Harrogate Assam in. Smells really good.

I drink a powder green tea similar to Matcha https://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Tea-Gyokuro-Powder-supplement-150g-4-92oz-/152032243029? good balance nice aroma. Good enough price point versus expensive Matcha. As far as mixing I use a Zojirushi SM-JHE36BA Stainless Steel Travel Mug, 12-Ounce/0.36-Liter, Black from AMZN keeps tea warm worth the price to me. Give it a good shake mixes well.

The Zojirushi travel mug is light and well built great for coffee or tea.

I just sent my order into Stash on Friday. I order about every year just before Christmas, coincidentally. One pound of ordinary varieties is $24 U.S., regular price, which isn't so bad at all. That beats most online Canadian retailers by a very significant margin (and clobbers the grocer), even after exchange and shipping, not to mention, the product is superior. I usually order about six pounds or so for the year.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I just sent my order into Stash on Friday. I order about every year just before Christmas, coincidentally. One pound of ordinary varieties is $24 U.S., regular price, which isn't so bad at all. That beats most online Canadian retailers by a very significant margin (and clobbers the grocer), even after exchange and shipping, not to mention, the product is superior. I usually order about six pounds or so for the year.

So how much do you average a day?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Hot tea is so very good for your health, I wonder why we in the states do not drink more hot tea.
Iced tea is huge here in the south, but so is lite beer!

I think you kind of alluded to this yourself... the US seems to be obsessed with ice... iced tea, iced coffee... each soft drink in a restaurant comes in a glass that is completely filled with ice...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Hot tea is so very good for your health, I wonder why we in the states do not drink more hot tea.

I think you kind of alluded to this yourself... the US seems to be obsessed with ice... iced tea, iced coffee... each soft drink in a restaurant comes in a glass that is completely filled with ice...

This coming from some one that lives in the Great Lakes Region
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

smile.gif

I've lived all over the US... North, South, East, West. I have also lived in Europe. The ice craze in the US is on another level, and does not leave much room for hot tea.
smile.gif

smile.gif

I've lived all over the US... North, South, East, West. I have also lived in Europe. The ice craze in the US is on another level, and does not leave much room for hot tea.
smile.gif

I actually drink "ice tea", but I don't put any ice in it. I just put the pitcher in the fridge. I drink a roughly a 3 quart pitcher a day. One large cup of coffee in the morning, and a few hot cups of tea a day.

Pretty much the amount that 6 lbs of tea makes divided by 365 days.
wink.gif

Seriously, I do about a pot a day, give or take. As for the Taylor's you mention, I haven't seen it on many shelves here, but our Staples stores sell it online. They must be very proud of it, charging more for roughly half a pound than what I pay for a full pound from Stash from the States. At least the Staples stuff is loose leaf; all I've seen in stores are bags. These stupid pods have taken away a lot of shelf space, and trying to find loose leaf tea in a lot of grocery stores has become a fool's errand.

If I were to come across a tin of it in stores, I'd be almost certain to try it.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Pretty much the amount that 6 lbs of tea makes divided by 365 days.
wink.gif

Seriously, I do about a pot a day, give or take. As for the Taylor's you mention, I haven't seen it on many shelves here, but our Staples stores sell it online. They must be very proud of it, charging more for roughly half a pound than what I pay for a full pound from Stash from the States. At least the Staples stuff is loose leaf; all I've seen in stores are bags. These stupid pods have taken away a lot of shelf space, and trying to find loose leaf tea in a lot of grocery stores has become a fool's errand.

If I were to come across a tin of it in stores, I'd be almost certain to try it.

I don't want to be mean, but I get this stuff from Amazon.
smile.gif

I'd not buy it from our Amazon; I'd be afraid.
wink.gif

Honestly, though, I'm sure I could find a reasonable online retailer, and buying tea from the States is clearly not a problem for me. It's always been duty free each time I've ordered (well, customs made a mistake once, but issued me a refund). I'm sure I could find a way to get it without paying an exorbitant price.

My Stash order made it in today. They don't mess around. They sent me a Christmas Eve tea bag sample. They're not as generous as they used to be with samples (and shipping costs for that matter), but I guess that's what happens when a company grows and ownership changes. I still can't find better pricing anywhere.

Teas I have in my cubicle:
Wegman's Green Tea
Wegman's Rooibos
Trader Joe's Earl Grey
Yerba Mate (loose).

Have a Hario tea infuser (metal strainer), and a Mr. Coffee, which is good for the Yerba mate.

Sometimes, I bring in fresh thyme leaves to brew an infusion to drink.

Good tins are hard to find. I got a few different ones from Stash before. The old style green ones, I liked. Then, they got something different, not as good. Now they have several kinds. I got a couple, both with silicone seals. One works very well, one you have to be a bit more careful with.

I have found some glass canisters at Walmart(made in the USA by Anchor Hocking, too!) that have airtight seals. One is a 3 quart which holds a 2 kilo bag nicely. The other is much smaller, and holds the common 3 1/2 ounce (approx.) nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back