Mobil1 vs. Wix XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahle got back to me as well. So here is the final summary:

Fram: $28 for 99% at 20 microns

Mobil 1: $14 for 99% at 30 microns

Mahle: $5 for 94% at 30 microns - actually they said 94% (+/-5%)

Win XP: $11 for 99% at 35 microns

It appears that the OEM Mahle and Wix are pretty comparable, while the Mobil 1 and Fram Ultra are superior.

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy

It appears that the OEM Mahle and Wix are pretty comparable, while the Mobil 1 and Fram Ultra are superior.

Seeing as the Fram is an additional $17 more than the Wix, and $23 more than the Mahle, the Mobil 1 filter seems to be the best value to me (in this specific case).

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Seeing as the Fram is an additional $17 more than the Wix, and $23 more than the Mahle, the Mobil 1 filter seems to be the best value to me (in this specific case).

I agree with that assessment. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find the new "A" variant in my size, but I intend to keep looking.

As an interesting aside, I actually got a telephone call from Wix today. I had asked them what the reasoning was for the 35 micron rating. The answer was that it is intended to facilitate a longer OCI because the efficiency increases as the filter media fills. They also mentioned that their standard filter is 99% efficient at 21 microns and that anyone who changes their oil every three to four thousand miles should just use the standard filter.

Strange that they would appear to de-rate their standard filter to the recommended interval of a NAPA ProSelect instead of a NAPA Gold in the call referenced.

Here's a snippet of the sales detail info on O'Reilly site for the Wix 57899 that fits my truck.

"WIX filters are recommended for OEM oil and filter change intervals, typically 3,750 to 10,000 miles, not to exceed 12 months."

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Strange that they would appear to de-rate their standard filter to the recommended interval of a NAPA ProSelect instead of a NAPA Gold in the call referenced.

Here's a snippet of the sales detail info on O'Reilly site for the Wix 57899 that fits my truck.

"WIX filters are recommended for OEM oil and filter change intervals, typically 3,750 to 10,000 miles, not to exceed 12 months."

Eh, I think I'd trust the people whose job it is to provide accurate information on O'Reilly's, Wix's, and NAPA's websites over what a sales rep says casually over the phone.

Eh, I think I'd trust the people whose job it is to provide accurate information on O'Reilly's, Wix's, and NAPA's websites over what a sales rep says casually over the phone.

He didn't say that the base level filter was only good for 3-4000 miles, he was simply trying to make a point. That point was to not bother with the XP filter for short OCIs.

He didn't say that the base level filter was only good for 3-4000 miles, he was simply trying to make a point. That point was to not bother with the XP filter for short OCIs.

Of course of course, I understand completely. Indeed, if you're going to use an XP, you should utilize it with an extended OCI.

It turns out that no-one seems to have the M1C-152A yet, and local prices of the M1C-152 are $18.99. Just for laughs ang giggles I did a Google shopping search on Fram XG8712 and found that Walmart sells them online for $19.23 vs. the $27.74 shelf price. This morning I stopped in my local Walmart, picked up the filter I had ordered online, then walked down the filter aisle to confirm that I wasn't imagining this price difference. I guess the lesson here is to always check Walmart's online pricing before venturing into the store.

Does anyone have an authoritative source for the efficiency on the OEM Mahle or Win XP filters? Here's the way I see it:

Mahle: $5 but efficiency completely unknown

Win XP: $11 with efficiency speculated to be 50% at 35 microns, but otherwise unknown

I've been using the Mahle filters for the past 155K miles, but have to confess that they never look all that dirty when removed. Either the engine is really clean, or these filters don't trap much.

Purolator One on Amazon 99% at 20 microns rated at 10K $6.99 shipped.
It will never see 10K on my car it will be changed out in the April/May time period of next spring.

Last edited:
I ordered oil from walmart.com and had it shipped to my local store. The Manager told me that walmart.com and the stores are two different entities. For whatever that means. I thought it was hogwash. But, who knows corporations run our Country!

I'm not sure where you're doing your shopping but I just picked up a Mobil 1 for 9.97 at Wally World and a week later a Fram Ultra for $8.40.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I'm not sure where you're doing your shopping but I just picked up a Mobil 1 for 9.97 at Wally World and a week later a Fram Ultra for $8.40.

This is a cartridge filter, not a spin on. $9.97 is the going rate for a Mobil 1 spin on, and $8.97 for a Fram Ultra at my local Walmart. This particular filter [XG 8712] is more costly, especially in the premium category. The OEM filters are $5, but I don't really want to run 10 K OCIs on a paper filter.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

This is a cartridge filter, not a spin on. $9.97 is the going rate for a Mobil 1 spin on, and $8.97 for a Fram Ultra at my local Walmart. This particular filter [XG 8712] is more costly, especially in the premium category. The OEM filters are $5, but I don't really want to run 10 K OCIs on a paper filter.

No can so they charge you extra now that's funny!

Wix responded to my inquiry with 99% at 35 microns. The full answer is posted below.

Micron ratings are not given for any other filters except our premium brand.
Below is the information that we share on our XP brand of filters.

WIX XP Oil filters use synthetic media and provide robust engine protection when using synthetic motor oil for
extreme driving conditions such as towing, extreme idle time, lower gear mountainous climbs, long periods at
highway speeds and extreme cold throughout the OE manufacturer’s recommended oil and filter change interval.
A specifically formulated gasket provides an excellent seal during extreme cold engine starts and resist hardening
under elevated oil temperatures. For spin-ons, WIX XP silicone anti-drain back valves protect against dry starts past
the traditional filter change interval. WIX XP is 99% efficient at 35 microns based on 51515XP, 51365XP and 57060XP

Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
So does that mean that only those 3 filter have that efficiency rating?
I think it simply means those are the ones they actually tested. We might or might not choose to assume others using the same type media would yield similar test results.

I don't understand their engineering/marketing.

Why would I want an only filter that has poor efficiency at particles smaller than 35 microns?

They are a huge, long lived company - with a reputation to uphold.

The efficiency numbers for the older paper media line are far, far better.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
So does that mean that only those 3 filter have that efficiency rating?
I think it simply means those are the ones they actually tested. We might or might not choose to assume others using the same type media would yield similar test results.

If you look at the physical size of the referenced tested WIX filters they are all pretty large. Most filter companies will reference a larger tested filter because they do better in the efficiency test.

I'd use the Mobil 1 myself. The standard Wix filter is more efficient than the XP, run that over the XP if it were me, or Napa Gold.

- deleted -
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back