Any synthetic blend for my 2017 Elantra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am ready for my second oil change on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE with 8,300 miles. First change was free at dealer which I did at around 3000 miles. Should I just use any 5W-20 synthetic blend oil or go with a full synthetic? I do plan on keeping the car long term, 10 + years or so.

Also, really how important is it that I use the genuine Hyundai filter?? Why can't I use a top quality filter other than Hyundai?

Thanks!
Michael in NJ

Use whatever they spec honestly but if you are looking for a blend the Castrol blend is hard to beat. Regarding a filter I would stick with the OEM filter while under warranty but ultimately you can use any quality filter without any issues.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Use whatever they spec honestly but if you are looking for a blend the Castrol blend is hard to beat. Regarding a filter I would stick with the OEM filter while under warranty but ultimately you can use any quality filter without any issues.

Castrol full synthetic is even harder to beat right now at $17.88 for a 5 quart Jug at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-GTX-MAGNATEC-5W-20-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-QT/44580673

Last edited:
Motorcraft's 5w-20 blend it pretty well regarded here. But getting something spec'd as Dexos1 gen 2 may help with intake valves crudding up over the long haul.

I've use Motorcraft 5W-20 Synthetic Blend in my 2005 Elantra for several years, maybe I will use that again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
0W-20, 5W-20 and blend or full.

Can you take a picture of your manual recommending 0W-20 and post it on here? It would be the first 2017 Elantra that I've heard of recommending that oil. Mine, and others on here, recommend 5W-20/30 or 10W-30.

You can use any synthetic blend off the shelf. The manual recommends API SM, but most every off-the-shelf blend will be API SN, which is what you want. However, unless the extra dollar or two matters, I recommend going with a full synthetic. I've had good results with Pennzoil Ultra and Quaker State Ultimate Durability.

Yes, dexos is a GM certification, however it doesn't mean that it can't be used in other applications as well. In fact, most off-the-shelf oils will carry the dexos certification.

For the price Hyundai filters can be had on Amazon I'd probably stick with them, but the Fram XG9688 would be tempting. Any name brand oil would be fine; I do know Hyundai used to recommend Quaker State, but that is (was) more marketing than anything.

In year's past, Hyundai's had TSBs stating aftermarket oil filters can cause startup noise. Don't know if it's still an issue or not but their OEM filters seem to be well made so it's not a bad idea to stick with them.

OP,

The manual recommends an SM/GF-4 oil or above. All current conventional oils are SN/GF-5 (so you are already ahead of the game). If you want Synthetic Blend, There are a lot to chose from...

Walmart alone has:
Pennzoil Gold
Quaker State Synthetic Blend
Motorcraft
Valvoline Maxlife
etc.

Other's claiming to be blends on their website TDS:
Havoline Conventional
Valvoline Conventional
Castrol GTX Ultraclean

You don't drive the turbo variant so dexos is not as relevant since GDi do not suffer LSPI, only small displacement T-GDi. But the certification can't hurt either, and most blends will carry it. Not Motorcraft of course.

You will get many opinions here to just go synthetic, but at Hyundai's conservative OCI, it isn't necessary.

Personal choice
smile.gif

Enjoy the car.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You can use any major brand of oil that meets the specs for your car and do well. They all have a blend.

This^^^

...and any quality oil filter will work just fine.

Ok, guess I will just start using Motorcraft 5W20 Blend since it seems to work fine in my 2005 Elantra.

Keep an eye out for rebates or sales. In many cases you can get the Synthetic for less than the blend. Shell had one going here recently, not sure but it might still be on. $2 off each quart or $10 off a 5 qt jug.

Pennzoil bronze bottle high mileage 5w30.

I hated the Gold bottle dexos1. So did my car and my snow blower.

I do not currently like the Magnatec Full synthetic 5w30 in running. Not the Magic oil the SS was ... And, NO! they are not the same product with a label change.

QSUD 10w30 is stunningly good for the warmer months.

qualifier: oil performance is batch or lot sensitive.
What you got ain't what I got, likely.

Last edited:
5W20 or 5W30 Motorcraft Blend, Pennzoil Gold or Valvoline DuraBlend. NO HIGH MILEAGE OIL NEEDED. 5,000 mile OCI. Hyundai/KIA OE oil filter.

Hyundai recommends staying with the factory filter to prevent their customers from getting a filter that's worse. They know that people have a natural tendency to cheap out. They know that most people with not try to get a filter that's better quality than the factory filter, which is why they recommend staying with a Hyundai branded filter. The general public don't know what a Fram Ultra or a Wix XP is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back