Is There Any Such Thing As A Quiet Tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 45 aspect ratio tire is gonna be rough and loud no matter what you do. I think all tires get louder as they age/wear.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
....... Tire size now is 195/45 R17

Houston, we may have a problem.

According to Tire Guides, both of the cars listed in your signature would take 215/45R17's. - And if that is true, that could result in aggravating an already adverse situation. So check your vehicle tire placard. It should be on the driver's door frame outlined in yellow.

Second, your cars take a bit more camber than is good for tire wear. Anything over a degree seems to cause irregular wear to some degree - even if the vehicle is in spec. So I recommend you get it dialed out as much as you can - and it might take a camber kit to do so. The car is would lose some of its handling, but the noise situation will get better.

Last edited:
My mistake, 215/45 R17.. Sorry, I have 195 on the brain looking for a darkside tire. I have the Altimax RT 43 on them now. Have about 16K on those. And yes, its a rougher ride, I know that. I can deal with the rough, just seem really sensitive to the hash-noise of tires.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
My mistake, 215/45 R17.. Sorry, I have 195 on the brain looking for a darkside tire. I have the Altimax RT 43 on them now. Have about 16K on those. And yes, its a rougher ride, I know that. I can deal with the rough, just seem really sensitive to the hash-noise of tires.

ok, for 215/45-17, your best choice might be the Hankook Ventus Prime2 or possibly the Sumitomo HTR Z III

There's also the Michelin Primacy HP, but they do cost a bit more. In fact, they actually cost more than the Pilot Super Sport in the same size (but the PSS won't be as quiet as the Primacy HP).

And the S.Drive I recommended earlier is also available in 215/45-17 and is also a quiet tire
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Really? I found the Super Sport insanely quiet
21.gif

maybe, but the Primacy HP is probably still quieter
smile.gif

What Tires are luxury, cathedral quiet cars leaving the factory with?. One thing they don't have is ultra low profile tires. I believe Rolls Royce cars had Avon tires from the factory many tears ago.

Claud

This is one of the most quiet patterns - point being you are accepting a trade off in adverse weather if going too mild …

Originally Posted By: Claud
What Tires are luxury, cathedral quiet cars leaving the factory with?. One thing they don't have is ultra low profile tires. I believe Rolls Royce cars had Avon tires from the factory many tears ago.

Claud

Have seen Goodyear on them and big Bentley’s in the showroom … think they are the Euro versions though …

A lot of tires are pretty quiet but is your vehicle insulated and made to be quiet? Some cars and SUV's are made like garbage and are tinny and you can put any tire on them and you will still get a lot of road noise. Just remember, it is not always the tire that is the blame for road noise, thumping, rattles, etc...

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
A lot of tires are pretty quiet but is your vehicle insulated and made to be quiet? Some cars and SUV's are made like garbage and are tinny and you can put any tire on them and you will still get a lot of road noise. Just remember, it is not always the tire that is the blame for road noise, thumping, rattles, etc...

Or run such a tight pattern on the tire it’s not best suited for anything but dry roads. My Tahoe is obviously sound proofed = some you can see (like the type of wheel well liners) and some you don’t see. But my Canyon was loud. When I did the doors with Dynamat topped with closed cell foam and the front floors with Dynamat ~ I now heard road noise behind me for the first time. Ah, then I did the back wall and doors ... bingo very quiet. When I put Toyo AT’s on … noise came up a bit so sprayed wheel well liners with rubberized undercoating … that helped too … big difference over stock and helps block a bit of heat too … and of course was the perfect time to pop some Infinity speakers in …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back