Might have found a bike...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother has a '95 883 and it is a fun bike to ride, for around an hour. After that, it gets tiring to ride for me, and highway riding, always found myself wanting another gear. Not sure how it has changed from '95 to '14.

I am guessing you have done some test riding, and hopefully some longer seat time than a ride around the block.

As for the "needing" larger than 1000 cc, that depends on many things. For me, I am fat, and just one up I am pushing the limit of some bikes, so the extra "oomph" of a larger bike is nice for me.

My brother rode mine shortly after I got it, and while he has been wanting a bigger bike for a while, I think he really wants one now.

I ride a 1200 and would love to have my buddies 883. The 1200 is a shaker. There is just more metal flying around. Runs hard. Will eat most cars in my neighborhood, so it's a quick pass for the slow tourists...

But my bud's 883 is so sweet. It's so smooth (for a Harley ...) and it handles just fine with the right tires (the OEM rubber is not good). It's docile and cruises wonderfully. Yes he had to do shocks to get the back end working right. But, if I could find one that road as good as his, I'd sell the 1200 in a heart beat
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'd choose something else. I raced one in a stock WRX I had and I pulled away from the woman on it.
This^^^^.

I've only owned one 4 cyl bike - they just don't say motorcycle for me. Singles and twins, they are motorcycles, light, narrow and flickable. A stock 883 is a perfect fit for me, I'd have one if I could keep it, HD attract the wrong sort of attention here.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Look for a nice,used,one owner bike. An inline 4 is smoother.

I am looking for a used bike. (I'm going to look at another-a Sportster 1200-tomorrow.) I have no interest in any inline-4 bikes whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
My brother has a '95 883 and it is a fun bike to ride, for around an hour. After that, it gets tiring to ride for me, and highway riding, always found myself wanting another gear. Not sure how it has changed from '95 to '14.

Everything. The 95 was a solid-mount engine (and wasn't 95 the last year for chain drive?), and a real shaker...in 2004, Sportsters got rubber-mounted engines and are much smoother. EFI showed up for 2007.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If it does what you want it to do, go for it. They are not hot rod bikes as you know, but can be a fun little bike to buzz around on. There must be something about them, they've been making and selling them for 60 years.,,,

Yeah the Sportster has been around a long time. Hard to imagine any other model name has been alive that long, at least in the US market.

sportster.jpg

1964-harley-davidson-xlch-sportster-5.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: blupupher

Everything. The 95 was a solid-mount engine (and wasn't 95 the last year for chain drive?), and a real shaker...in 2004, Sportsters got rubber-mounted engines and are much smoother. EFI showed up for 2007.

His is a belt drive. I knew FI makes a big difference. Did not know about the mounts.
I am just getting back into bikes, but Harley's have never really interested me. I have always favored Honda's.
Nothing wrong with Harley, just not for me.

Well...found another bike that's probably a better choice for me. Looks like I'm not going 883...I found a 2014 1200 Touring, that already has quick-release windshield, locking panniers (turn signals moved for clearance), luggage rack, and crash bar. Just need a tour bag and a set of Road King shocks.

Ooooh, now your talking
laugh.gif
My 1200XL has relocated signals for my soft bags and RK shocks
laugh.gif

On the RK shocks - they are internally sprung for the weight of the RK if they loose air. So they can be stiff on a Sporty, especially solo. All loaded up, you'll be fine. But if teh bags are off and you are doing solo, it might be too harsh ...

So the Honda CB900 had the same shocks, but the internal springs are much softer. You can break down the RK shocks and install the CB900 springs for a great solo ride and just add air for all up
laugh.gif

Join us over here: http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/index.php For all kinds of lively discussion of all thing XL
smile.gif

Last edited:
I'm already on there, same screen name.

What about just using CB900 shocks?

Or Ironhead shocks...?

Again other than your Girl, who rides a sporty with a stock motor?

Plenty enough CC after you hot rod it a bit.

Factory tune is dog.

Just like 70 chevy 350 2 bbl.

Japanese designed STD and cruiser bikes are too limp wristed

Ive owned a few. I will say The big AC Kawis of the early 80s arent too jappy,.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Well...found another bike that's probably a better choice for me. Looks like I'm not going 883...I found a 2014 1200 Touring, that already has quick-release windshield, locking panniers (turn signals moved for clearance), luggage rack, and crash bar. Just need a tour bag and a set of Road King shocks.
Sounds good. Always better to have more power than you need vs. less power.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Japanese designed STD and cruiser bikes are too limp wristed.

I like my "limp wristed" 3-cyl 115 HP, 435 lb wet Yamaha XSR900.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Nice Bumble Bee. Love the wheels!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Look at the Roadster !!!

Older ones (2004-8) are pure unobtanium, riding position on newer ones doesn't fit me.

Don't forget an 883 can be made a 1200 or 1250 with just a top end kit. While your heads are off, good time to get them ported. The job can be done with the engine in frame. FWIW I put a Power Commander 5 on my Dyna along with an S&S breather and slip-ons and make 69 hp/79 torque; a decent increase (about 15) over stock at the wheel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I really like those. I'm getting old and have problems riding Hayabusa type bikes because of the rider's position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back