Timing Chain wear tech / T-GDI / and the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
Any motorcycle drivechain implementations of that "silent" chain design?

I think they are quite commonly used as a primary drive chain on Japanese bikes. With the drive taken from the inaccessible centre of the crankshaft they would have to be reliable.

If the wear is attributed mainly to T-GDI engines wouldn’t that mean one reason for wear is the turbo boost puts a split second strain on the chain which adds up over time? That plus cheaper timing chain materials.

The paper is a fascinating read. Thanks wemay.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
dexos1/Gen2 & GF-6 (not even here yet) are late to the timing chain wear test party.
Two tests, the M 271 Wear Test & the OM 646 DE22LA Wear (CEC L-99-08) Test, are in MB 229.5 and have been there for years now.

As for whether dexos1 Gen2 timing chain tests are "working" or not, as somebody above thought, its too early to tell. dexos1/Gen2 just hit the shelves.
I thought the GM 3.6L engine has suffered from occasional supplier problems in surface hardening the timing chains. When they surface harden correctly, those things last. Should only be afflicting 5+ year old 3.6L engines.

I am not sure what the 3.6 OLM's were like in the past, but with my wife's new 3.6, the OLM seems to move quite rapidly. We are down to 84% already and I doubt she has put on a 1000-1500 km's since I last changed the oil a few weeks ago. Mind you, her commute is short, around 10 kms one way in stop and go city traffic, so maybe that is normal?
My Ram Hemi, with just over 5000 kms since the last oil change still shows 70% OL remaining, but I do about half city/hwy driving everyday for 50 km round trips.

Originally Posted By: irv
I am not sure what the 3.6 OLM's were like in the past, but with my wife's new 3.6, the OLM seems to move quite rapidly. We are down to 84% already
GM Oil Life Monitors were set way downward as of 2010. Thats when they were seeing a lot of problems due to excess wear from soot from their DI 3.6L V6's and surface hardening manufacturing problems. They previously made a lot of non-DI "High Feature" (3.6L family) V6s that didn't have as many problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back