Best Bang-for-Buck Cable Modem on a Budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you want a 6121 I have one sitting here that works perfectly fine I can mail you for 10$ or whatever.

its only 4x4.. good for upto 50mbit max really.

I replaced it back when my ISP node was congested to see if it helped any.

The 6183 should do me for at least a few more years..
we just went 16x4 100mbit service here.. about a month ago. (fastest available)

Originally Posted By: Gillsy
I've had good luck with the Moto SB6141, but I'm thinking the Arris is a re-badged Moto.

They are, it is the same company. I think they just keep the Motorola name around due to familiarity. I went with Arris since I had seen them sponsor in NASCAR and everything I read said it was a good modem.

Originally Posted By: wormwood1978
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOROLA-8X4-CABLE-MODEM-MODEL-MB7220-343-MBPS-DOCSIS-3-0/162648403596

Just an experiment. Nevermind.
grin2.gif

UPDATE

Probably going to get a Zoom 5370.

http://www.zoomtel.com/products/5370.html

It's a 16×4 DOCSIS 3.0 box utilizing the Broadcom BCM33843D chipset. Research tends to indicate the Zoom unit is more tolerant of less-than-ideal signal quality over the coax cable than the Arris 6183 even though the 6183 uses the same Broadcom stuff inside. That possibility and slightly lower prices tilt the scale ever so slightly towards the Zoom. It's on Wide Open West's compatibility list.

If your company is activating 3.1 in your area it would make sense to have a 3.1 modem. So far it seems like Comcast is the only one running 3.1. A 3.1 modem on a 3.0 line doesn't do anything a 3.0 modem can't. The TP-Link 7610 is an entirely serviceable unit. It is also much smaller than the pictures would suggest and runs cooler (uses less energy) than the Arris stuff. Don't pay 3 figures to be "future proof" and expect your cable modem to last forever. They get hit by lightning a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
If your company is activating 3.1 in your area it would make sense to have a 3.1 modem. So far it seems like Comcast is the only one running 3.1. A 3.1 modem on a 3.0 line doesn't do anything a 3.0 modem can't. The TP-Link 7610 is an entirely serviceable unit. It is also much smaller than the pictures would suggest and runs cooler (uses less energy) than the Arris stuff. Don't pay 3 figures to be "future proof" and expect your cable modem to last forever. They get hit by lightning a lot.

LoL, you and Alarmguy have just convinced me to get the TP-Link 7610 instead
smile.gif
In part also because on DeviceWiki it shows TP-Link may be using a Broadcom chipset in it (and in most of their other modems).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back