2009 ford fusion very dangerous car to own

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually have the same issue on my 07 Focus. I also posted on here about it a few months ago.

But yes, pumping the brakes seems like the best (and cheapest) solution to this problem.

Completely off topic, but I did pads & rotors on my BIL's Fusion from around this vintage. The old pad ears swelled up with rust and stuck in there right tight. A little maintenance on this end of things is also appropriate.

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
So for the first time my fusion experienced the brake problem the fusions are know for. My wife was driving in a parking lot about 10 mph and a car was stopping in front of her. About 3 car lengths away. She pushes the brake and nothing happens so she pushes harder and its to the floor at this point and shes not stopping. Then pow bumps the ford fiesta in front of her. Elderly women got out and wife is crying with the kids. Elderly lady keep apologizing. She said her car didnt have any damage so she left. Yay my insurance isnt going up. But the damage was scuffed bumper and bent license plate. So i test drove the car around the lot and brakes are working perfect ofcourse. Then it happens agian to her but luckly i drilled into her head to pump the brakes if it ever happens agian and pull the ebrake so she came to a stop. So i did a complaint with the nhsta. After doing some reading it looks like its already under investigation. Car has 87k miles new fluid pads and rotors about 2 years ago. Brake fluid still full. This is my first ford product and my last. After doind some research it seems that the abs valve gets sticky and cuts line pressure. Im afraid of the car now honestly. I cant afford to replace the abs hcu until tax time. If any of you guys experince the brake thing in the fusion please report it and lets get a recall.
mom has a 2010 fusion and lil brother has a 08 fusion. Moms fusion will stop on a dime the brake pedal is so touchy. Brothers is normal. Never had a problem with them. Done F and R brakes on moms fusion and later on replaced a caliper cause the slider froze in the bracket. Brothers fusion will need R brakes here soon.

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
If the brakes are working atm wouldnt that mean the valve is too

Not necessarily. You could have one (or more) valve sticking and the others working still so 2 or 3 wheels seemingly do fine to stop the vehicle, until you try to brake hard and it throws off the vehicle handling and straight stopping, which could be dangerous. If the situation is as others suggest, this should be recalled.

I haven't experienced this in my fusion but I do a brake fluid flush every couple years and every time I do brakes. I also drive hard enough to occasionally trip the abs on so between the fresh fluid and exercising the system I may have nipped this in the bud.

Maintenance is good

Originally Posted By: donjuers
I have a 2008 and it started doing it at 90k the easiest fix I found without replacing the ABS pump is to raise the front wheels and put it in drive and keep hitting the brakes. This will cause the pump to constantly cycle which in my case freed up the sticking valve in the pump. If it is currently stuck open have someone sit in the car with it running and have them pump the brakes as you tap on the ABS pump this is how I originally freed mine up. good luck

SWEET! I'm going to file this away for future use.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: donjuers
I have a 2008 and it started doing it at 90k the easiest fix I found without replacing the ABS pump is to raise the front wheels and put it in drive and keep hitting the brakes. This will cause the pump to constantly cycle which in my case freed up the sticking valve in the pump. If it is currently stuck open have someone sit in the car with it running and have them pump the brakes as you tap on the ABS pump this is how I originally freed mine up. good luck

SWEET! I'm going to file this away for future use.

I work at a Ford dealer and have seen this from time to time and what I mentioned above has worked in most of the cases. Biggest thing is to engage your ABS several times a year to keep the valves in the pump free. And yes change the brake fluid at least every 50k

Dear Ford,

On parts like primary braking components, please don't demand unreasonable cost-cuts from your suppliers.

Sincerely,

Everyone on the road

Not a Fusion, but my GMC had this awful rear-ABS system that just used a dump valve to reduce rear braking pressure. Well, my brake pedal was randomly going to the floor without much happening, and usually in traffic. So I just removed the whole ABS valve unit and control module, hooked the rear brake line up straight to the proportioning valve, and did a good bleeding. Now the brakes are perfect. I'm not saying you should jump to removing the entire ABS system, but it sure is an option if it is more dangerous with ABS than without.

If that happened to me, first the car would be sold ASAP and two, yes I'd never buy a Ford again. This is just plain scary!

Hmm. I need to get the fluid flushed on my mothers car ASAP then. Ive put that off way too long.
Anyone here know what Motive bleeder cap number that uses? 1118?

Last edited:
Cars have been surviving an entire service life without ever once having a brake fluid change. ABS modules have been rather trouble-free and forgettable for many decades, just like airbags. Consider that for a moment.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Not a Fusion, but my GMC had this awful rear-ABS system that just used a dump valve to reduce rear braking pressure. Well, my brake pedal was randomly going to the floor without much happening, and usually in traffic. So I just removed the whole ABS valve unit and control module, hooked the rear brake line up straight to the proportioning valve, and did a good bleeding. Now the brakes are perfect. I'm not saying you should jump to removing the entire ABS system, but it sure is an option if it is more dangerous with ABS than without.

What worked on a 30 year old GMC dinosaur probably won't work on an 8 year old Ford. Fix it right or park it. No way I would have let my wife drive my kids around in that with a bandaid fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back