Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Solution looking for a problem.
heh heh, that accusation can be made of every improvement since the spark plug
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Interesting but, the down side is that there is more stuff to go wrong. Ed
Good ideas & concepts-but, that is one complicated looking engine, between the 2 turbos, air compressor, tank, etc. There's a lot of weight there, too.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Man, I'd sure love to own one of these outside the warranty period.
confused.gif

Symbol of sarcasm added

~ Said no one. Ever.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Seems pretty simple to me, guys.

Seems odd that they chose not to use pressure from the turbo similar to a bleed air system to fill the tank.

It's just an interesting idea is all I was getting at. I'm sure it's more stuff to go wrong and will go wrong as the vehicle ages.

HP air assist is not new or innovative. Not sure it needs to be incredibly high pressure or high quantity. Id think this system would be easy to implement and bypass if need be.

Originally Posted By: Timo325

~ Said no one. Ever.
wink.gif

lol.gif

I've driven several turbo cars that have "eliminated" throttle lag. Made me wonder if people really know what "eliminate" means.

One thing I keep coming back to: the McLaren P1 uses electric assist to compensate when boost isn't available, so its throttle response is insanely good -- but apparently even that car, spectacular as it is, is slightly behind its naturally aspirated competitors for throttle response.

I'm sure it's possible to tack on a million auxiliary systems to compensate for the poor throttle response of a turbo engine. But even if there's no perceptible lag per se, no turbo powertrain will ever be as sharp or precise as a decent naturally aspirated one. I'd bet this Volvo system is in the same vein: good enough that 99.9% of humans won't perceive a delay, and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back