Pre-painted fender 2012 Elantra GLS silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

I decided not to have the damage repaired. I get a one time exemption from a premium increase. I didn't feel like dealing with the inconvenience. I also just bought new tires.
The estimate was for $750.

Accident news update. I hit a deer Monday morning going into work, abut 3 am. The deer ran across the road about 5 feet in front of the car. Pretty much t-boned the deer with the center of my hood. Didn't even touch the brakes. I have a legal question. The insurance company is mailing me a check. Is it legal for me to buy "A" condition used parts and install them myself with that money and keep the change? I'd also get the fender, found a car with nice front end parts, need hood, upper grille, right head light assy and the fender. The car has 248K now so I'm fine with avoiding the inconvenience of the body shop, car rental deal and installing the parts myself and it will look good enough.

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
Is it legal for me to buy "A" condition used parts and install them myself with that money and keep the change?

Should be completely legal. I've done it before when the damage was about a thousand dollars. They cut me check and fixed it for around $350. Inner city body shop did the repair work. A cop that worked that area recommended it and was the only place he would take his classic Mustang. They did an average job at best.

Any pictures of the damage? Sorry to hear, good thing you're ok. Is the donor car silver as well?

Last edited:
Accident news update. I hit a deer Monday morning going into work, abut 3 am. The deer ran across the road about 5 feet in front of the car. Pretty much t-boned the deer with the center of my hood. Didn't even touch the brakes. I have a legal question. The insurance company is mailing me a check. Is it legal for me to buy "A" condition used parts and install them myself with that money and keep the change? I'd also get the fender, found a car with nice front end parts, need hood, upper grille, right head light assy and the fender. The car has 248K now so I'm fine with avoiding the inconvenience of the body shop, car rental deal and installing the parts myself and it will look good enough.
Insurance writing you a check, you can do whatever you please with it.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
After seeing the damage, if it were my car with 208k, I'd buff the rubber transfer off of it and leave it be. A pre-painted silver fender that isn't OEM is more likely to be noticeable than a few soft dents with the factory paint.

I would do the same and maybe get some more improvement with PDR work. They can really work magic with dents and it would only cost maybe $100 tops.

Quote:
Its a good looking car and the fender/paint is an easy enough color and shape to do a good looking blend job on.

So I hit a deer and need both the fender and now the hood replaced. I bought primed parts and I want to get them painted and install them myself. Would I then be able to go back to the paint shop to get them blended in? I guess even if I could there would be 2 setup charges. I'm trying to keep costs down, I also need a headlight assembly and the upper grille. It's been deer hunting shotgun season here in Pennsylvania the last 2 weeks so the shops I'm thinking of dealing with have been shorthanded, haven't spoken to people who can answer my questions yet.

Also, does anyone know the differences between the grilles for a GLS sedan and the Limited sedan? I have a GLS and bought a Limited grille hoping it will fit, $130 cheaper.

So I hit a deer and need both the fender and now the hood replaced. I bought primed parts and I want to get them painted and install them myself. Would I then be able to go back to the paint shop to get them blended in? I guess even if I could there would be 2 setup charges. I'm trying to keep costs down, I also need a headlight assembly and the upper grille. It's been deer hunting shotgun season here in Pennsylvania the last 2 weeks so the shops I'm thinking of dealing with have been shorthanded, haven't spoken to people who can answer my questions yet.

If you're trying to keep cost down, taking the car back for a blend is not a good idea. Put the hood and fender on and send it to paint.

Also, does anyone know the differences between the grilles for a GLS sedan and the Limited sedan? I have a GLS and bought a Limited grille hoping it will fit, $130 cheaper.

Below is a GLS followed by the Limted grille:

How about a place to buy the fasteners/screws that attach the grille to the top radiator support, they were all popped off. Is this a dealer item or are they standard fasteners if you know what you need?

I've used a prepainted ebay bumper before. It fits alright but doesn't come with clips. You can tell it is a different shade of color vs the old OEM bumper on the car though. It could be just fade instead of quality issue so any prepaint will have this problem.

Your condition is probably better off just buff as much out and then a little touch up. You will notice less this way than a completely different fender that may be in a different shade. My dad would just buff it out and try to use a rubber mallet and a block of wood to pop it back as close as he can.

So I bought parts thru partsgeek.com, hood, fender, radiator grille and headlight assembly. $435 total shipped from CA. R&L Carrier shipping $65. I thought the shipping total was a mistake. I'm having the parts painted off the car for estimated $300-$350 by a well reviewed and recommended hole in the wall shop in Pottsville. Owner said the parts are the same he would have bought thru LKQ, which is what was on the paperwork for all of the parts. Sheet metal was from company in Taiwan, forget the name. Headlight is TYC. Grille also from Taiwan and a LKQ company.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back