Mods:
Supercharger @ 13 psi
Ported Heads
Cam
Meth Injection
Full Exhaust

Oil: Castrol 0w40 A3/B4 Euro
Fram Ultra Filter

Fuel was 93 pump, and for one tank it was a 50/50 mix of MS 109, but that was only once.

Stock short block (crank, rods, pistons), pushing it pretty hard power wise. I did some airport racing during this change, with a lot of WOT pulls.

No new parts were installed between oil changes.

If its not a bearing, what is it? I thought bearing due to the stock bearing contents initially, but I don't really grok how much would be in the oil if the bearing was going bad TBH.

Last edited:
Probably just from driving it really hard. Did you cut open the oil filter to look for bigger debris? If you have a bearing going bad, you might see something bigger stuff caught in the oil filter.

Good idea, I'll try to cut it open this weekend. It would be nice to rule out bearings, and chalk it up to giving her a beating every time I drive it.

Given the blower and pump gas at least part of the time; it would be nice to rule out detonation/pre-ignition.

Assuming that the knock sensor is working would tend to minimize suspicion of detonation and or pre-ignition.
If these problems are present however this could "beat up" the bearings and other things.
Run as much octane as you can afford!!
Methanol definitely helps with that.

The lack of lead is usually contrary to a hypothesis of bearing damage. ( possible exception below )

Where did the copper come from?
Does it have an engine oil cooler?

Does it have a manual transmission?

Long shot here: with a stout clutch pressure plate the crankshaft thrust bearing can wear through to the layer that has more copper.
This could result in a lot of copper without a lot of lead...maybe.

The iron is likely from rings and cylinder liners.

My gut feeling is that this UOA is the normal result of hard running.

If it were mine I would consider a racing oil or M1 15W50 as others have suggested.
If you run a true racing oil change it often to keep sludge type deposits to a minimum.

It's entirely possible that this UOA is normal for your engine under the operating conditions that were present.

Good luck and keep it right side up and on the pavement!

I guess I am old fashioned and that thin oil just makes me nervous. Euro oil in a Corvette?

Originally Posted By: ron17571
I guess I am old fashioned and that thin oil just makes me nervous. Euro oil in a Corvette?

What thin oil? Who suggested thin oil?

When I took school at Bondurant in 2004, their fleet was C5 Corvettes and they ran Mobil-1 15W-50. Speaking to the shop guys, they said they blew two engines early in the program running 5W-30. GM sent engineers, and after analysis they recommended the thicker 15W-50. No blown engines after making the switch.

Originally Posted By: ron17571

LOL. This oil isn't thin at temp and this motor doesn't care that the bottle says Euro on it. "Well there's yer problem, a doggone oil from YURP in a MERICAN car". An Audi RS4 with high cylinder pressures and 20+ lbs of boost can handle the oil in just as fast of a car.

That lead isn't coming from the half tank of MS109 either since VP puts no lead in that.

I'd say it's hard use and decent wear numbers. Bumping up to a M1 15w50 isn't a bad idea given the blower. Otherwise, enjoy it until it needs a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back