3.6 Pentastar Distorted Used Filter Pleats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Yes. Fram Ultra, but its not actually wire backing, its a rigid polymer mesh much like what you find in a Purolator Boss canister filter. Same difference, no metal.

Will the pleats be straight at the end of the OCI ?

I wish the OP would've listed the year make and model.

I’ve seen some waves before but never like that on my Wix cartridges, had the old style on a Chrysler 200 3.6L and the new style on the Jeep Cherokee 3.2L. Always had good luck with he Wix Filters in general.

Originally Posted By: JTK
... You really couldn't over-tighten the housing on our 2013.. Well you could.. and shear the whole housing off the neck that goes down into the block. Once it seated, it sort of stopped. ...
Is Chrysler's cartridge housing (like Toyota's, and I assume others) designed in such a way that a spring adjusts for minor variations in cartridge length? If so, as you say, you can't crush the filter by overtightening the cover (although you can wreck the cover, if determined to do so). The filter shouldn't collapse under the normal spring force.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Yes. Fram Ultra, but its not actually wire backing, its a rigid polymer mesh much like what you find in a Purolator Boss canister filter. Same difference, no metal.

Will the pleats be straight at the end of the OCI ?

Completely straight.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I wish the OP would've listed the year make and model.

He did:

Originally Posted By: 1998chevy
The vehicle it is installed in is a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country, so this older style filter is the correct filter.

Just to follow back up with everybody, I swapped the current filter out with a new one just to see what it now looks like with a few thousand miles on it. The filter I just removed looks normal, with no distortion to the pleats.
Upon closer evaluation of the cartridge assembly, I suspect that the distortion of the pleats is due to an error on my part. It appears that with this era of 3.6 Pentastar filters that the filter clips into the housing cap and is then inserted into the engine while attached to the cap. When I installed the filter, I did so similar as I had done with my 1.9L TDI by dropping the cartridge into the filter housing and then installing the cap. I suspect that since the Pentastar housing sits at an angle, the filter didn't line up centered with the cap and instead of clipping into the cap the clips got caught under the cap and the filter got slightly crushed causing the distortion.
Given this improper installation on my part, it is likely that the filter was bypassing some oil all the time. While this is certainly concerning, at this point in time any damage that may have occurred is already done. I will be paying closer attention to the correct installation of the filter cartridge in the future. I also need to be keeping an eye on the bypass valve to make sure it's not broken off either based on the issues I have read about with this engine.

Thank you everyone for your help.

The vehicle it is installed in is a 2012 Chrysler Town & Country, so this older style filter is the correct filter.
When re-installing the cap I tighten it by hand until it makes seats against the filter housing and then firmly snug it by hand. Same way I have been changing the cartridge filter in my 2003 TDI Jetta for years and haven't seen any issues there.
I will get an OEM filter next oil change and see how it measures up.

Thank goodness! Heard horror stories about using the wrong filters causing catastrophic engine failures on those engines. As far as wavy media is concerned, I wouldn't get too excited about it as long as it's not torn or completely crushed inward (think taking ahold of the filter and twisting it) blocking oil flow, it should be okay. Purolator is the OEM supplier of Mopar filters, maybe try running one of them if you don't wanna go to the stealership? As much as I hate recommending Purolator.. Their cartridges don't seem to have the tearing problems, though.

Just to follow back up with everybody, I swapped the current filter out with a new one just to see what it now looks like with a few thousand miles on it. The filter I just removed looks normal, with no distortion to the pleats.
Upon closer evaluation of the cartridge assembly, I suspect that the distortion of the pleats is due to an error on my part. It appears that with this era of 3.6 Pentastar filters that the filter clips into the housing cap and is then inserted into the engine while attached to the cap. When I installed the filter, I did so similar as I had done with my 1.9L TDI by dropping the cartridge into the filter housing and then installing the cap. I suspect that since the Pentastar housing sits at an angle, the filter didn't line up centered with the cap and instead of clipping into the cap the clips got caught under the cap and the filter got slightly crushed causing the distortion.
Given this improper installation on my part, it is likely that the filter was bypassing some oil all the time. While this is certainly concerning, at this point in time any damage that may have occurred is already done. I will be paying closer attention to the correct installation of the filter cartridge in the future. I also need to be keeping an eye on the bypass valve to make sure it's not broken off either based on the issues I have read about with this engine.

Yeah, I can see that mistake happening. At least you had the balls to admit your mistake.

I have witnessed this with our new van (2017). The old van did not exhibit this.

Must be the spring pressure on the oil filter housing cap. It's pretty stiff from inspection. Filter's seem to work fine and don't have any signs of failure.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Yeah, I can see that mistake happening. At least you had the balls to admit your mistake.

x2

Very simple error to be made, glad you figured it out.

FWIW, both types of filters are snapped into the filter cap first, then installed into the filter housing (I have both)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back