Case of Fram Extra Guard filters--should I do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I've got a Toyota Tacoma that I plan to have forever, basically. I'm just about finishing my a case of OEM oil filters and was looking around to buy another case. I see on eBay I can get a case of 12 Fram Extra Guard filters for $31.82 shipped. $2.65/filter sounds like a smoking deal to me. OEM filters are going to set me back about $4.50/ea by the case.

I guess I'm just wanting some reassurance that Fram makes a decent product these days. I change my oil with synthetic every 7500 miles (which is normally 7-8 months). Are the plain old orange can Frams up to that? Or would you spend more and go with OEM or maybe Denso (who makes the OEM filters) from Rockauto.

I'll look forward to your opinions.

I'm also seeing a good deal on a case of Ecogard filters for about a buck more. I don't know anything about Ecogard. Thoughts?

Fram recommends their OCOD out to 5,000 miles. Fram ToughGuard is more supportable for your planned OCI (Fram rates them to 10,000 miles)

Yeah, I've seen that...but I honestly don't know if that is marketing or what. I mean, Jiffy Lube still recommends 3000 mile OCIs, so I'm a little skeptical of the 5000 mile number from Fram. But who knows...

I'd rather use OEM over an orange can but that's just me. If you're going to buy Fram, get the Ultra! I've used OEM's on my Tacoma a lot and they served me well, although, I have an Ultra on it now. I went with the 3600 so I could dump an even 6 quarts in my 3.4 instead of 5.5 that it calls for.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
I'd rather use OEM over an orange can but that's just me. If you're going to buy Fram, get the Ultra! I've used OEM's on my Tacoma a lot and they served me well, although, I have an Ultra on it now. I went with the 3600 so I could dump an even 6 quarts in my 3.4 instead of 5.5 that it calls for.

Strange--my 2002 3.4L Tacoma calls for 6 quarts in the manual.

There's a an auction on a case of compatible Motorcraft filters too that is in the ballpark. Are Motorcraft generally considered good filters?

They're made by Purolator, generally susceptible to tearing, some models more than others. I'd go Tough Guard, Ultra or OEM. Wix is good too.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
12 filters is way too many to buy for just one car. Stuff happens.

Maybe...but it'd be my 3rd case. ;-) And the way I figure it, if I get them that cheap (< half the price of Walmart) then I'm ahead of the game even if I use just over half of them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor

I guess I'm just wanting some reassurance that Fram makes a decent product these days. I change my oil with synthetic every 7500 miles

The product quality of Fram Orange cans has improved a LOT over the last few years.
I would run one to 7500 miles without hesitation!
(your Toyota manual may even suggest 2X OCI's per filter)

Didn't you just buy a ton of them from TSC in Waco?!?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor

I guess I'm just wanting some reassurance that Fram makes a decent product these days. I change my oil with synthetic every 7500 miles

The product quality of Fram Orange cans has improved a LOT over the last few years.
I would run one to 7500 miles without hesitation!
(your Toyota manual may even suggest 2X OCI's per filter)

Didn't you just buy a ton of them from TSC in Waco?!?

Ha! Actually, I keep up with 4 cars (mine, my wife's and my 2 kids' cars). I was able to find 2 each for the other 3 cars, but there were no Fram clearance filters that fit my Tacoma. :) But now that I'm stocked up on the other cars' filters, I was looking for a deal on filters for my truck. I'll probably just hold off unless I run into a crazy clearance situation like the one as TSC. I still have 2 on the shelf.

Nah--you end up paying too much if you wait until you need something. I usually find I'm better off buying things up on sale (like the tractor supply clearance) for pennies on the dollar. I do the same thing with oil.

Linctex is right on here with his analysis. Ol orange cans have improved a fair amount on the last several years.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Linctex is right on here with his analysis. Ol orange cans have improved a fair amount on the last several years.

But they are still only rated at 95% efficacy! All debris left in your oil is engine wearing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back