John Cena sued by Ford for selling the '17 GT...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that really the case /
Or did Ford just pick 3.5L V6 for marketing?

I know one thing … you can’t see the engine for the snake den of plumbing all around it … that thing has coolers for the coolers and boosters for the booster …

Originally Posted By: 4WD

I know one thing … you can’t see the engine for the snake den of plumbing all around it … that thing has coolers for the coolers and boosters for the booster …

Well, to cheaply get that amount of HP, the off the shelf 3.5 makes the most sense to start with. Their V8's would need to be turbo or super charged anyways and they aren't built for that, so it would be expensive development for nothing.
With pumping up the V6 they've probably learned a few things that could easily be added to the production engine as well.
These cars are built with a small budget and the goal is to use as many off the shelf parts as possible. The previous Ford GT has the 5.4L from the F150 and the steering rack from a Focus and probably dozens of other regular car parts whereever they could be applied.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: 4WD

Well, to cheaply get that amount of HP, the off the shelf 3.5 makes the most sense to start with. Their V8's would need to be turbo or super charged anyways and they aren't built for that, so it would be expensive development for nothing.
With pumping up the V6 they've probably learned a few things that could easily be added to the production engine as well.
These cars are built with a small budget and the goal is to use as many off the shelf parts as possible. The previous Ford GT has the 5.4L from the F150 and the steering rack from a Focus and probably dozens of other regular car parts whereever they could be applied.

I think you are missing the point. This GT isn't like the last one. That one was designed to be a production car first and was made for the Ford Centennial, as kind of a halo car celebration. The new one started out specifically with race car intentions first to race at Lemans. Yes, the are also using it to boost the Ecoboost brand as well so marketing is helping fund this too. For the most part, the new GT is 90% race car and 10% stuff that needed to make it street legal/somewhat driveable off track. This is why they are making limited numbers (pretty sure you have to have a certain amount for the class they race in). The limited numbers and the fact it is essentially a race car is why it costs 500K.

Right. This GT is a homologation special designed and built by Multimatic in Canada. (Yes, I suffered through the documentary, which like most focusing on a single marque, was mostly a PR fluff piece)

It fell outside the spirit, if not the letter of the rules (and didn't even meet that, since it was given an agreed upon dispensation to race before production ever started), and prompted others to escalate the battle and create class ringers like the 911 RSR and forthcoming mid-engined C8.

Ford got its desired victory, which resonated with a thud, even among manu racing fans who felt that it was kinda of a cheap win aided by BoP manipulation.

That said, it's still an undeniably neat piece of kit, and few road cars can say their bodies were tuned with aerodynamics for Le Mans.

You can put anything in a contract, does not mean it is enforceable or legal. Unless it was a lease or licensing arraignment where someone else held the actual title in lieu of receiving the actual vehicle back at the end of the lease, there is no way they are going to be able to enforce what other people do with their property after the sale.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
You can put anything in a contract, does not mean it is enforceable or legal. Unless it was a lease or licensing arraignment where someone else held the actual title in lieu of receiving the actual vehicle back at the end of the lease, there is no way they are going to be able to enforce what other people do with their property after the sale.

It'd be interesting to see the results. For property, you can have deed restrictions applied to the property. Not sure if it applies to cars also. Then there's also cases like rentals where the owners tried to restrict rental DVDs and tapes, but the courts struct that down.

The way to do it would be to finance it with a $499,900 down payment and then $1/month for 24 months with a million dollar prepayment penalty. Then ford can legally keep the title until 2 years are up.

Though I was told by the most honest of men, a used car dealer, that my state won't allow prepayment penalties.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

The way to do it would be to finance it with a $499,900 down payment and then $1/month for 24 months with a million dollar prepayment penalty. Then ford can legally keep the title until 2 years are up.

Though I was told by the most honest of men, a used car dealer, that my state won't allow prepayment penalties.

Even then, that would have it's pitfalls and I would doubt is even legal. Most conventional financing, the vehicle finance and the car manufacturer are two separated legal entities. Once the finance company takes title, the manufacturer (really the dealer) has been paid for product and no longer in the equation. Then, any issue of the vehicle and right to title becomes between the finance company and the purchaser.

Quote:
Ford may win the case but lose their reputation to the people.

Quote:
Who is John Cena?

Quote:
I don't think this is going to be good publicity for Ford

It's great that John Cena ( had to look him up ) can turn wrassling into a good enough gig to buy a half million $$ car, even if he apparently can't really afford it, but I can't imagine normal people allowing an esoteric contract dispute with an entertainment whatever to influence a car buying decision.

And why should it reflect badly on the manufacturer? The rapper / actor / reality tv whatever is the one welshing on the deal. Legal or illegal ( likely legal, but no one can render an opinion on a contract without the actual contract, possibly more, in front of them ), he agreed to it. The black eye of this deal goes right on him.

.... there is no way they are going to be able to enforce what other people do with their property after the sale.

Why would a below estimated market value purchase price not be adequate consideration for a hold two years without resale provision?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back