anyone have experience w/ airbnb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious about experience w. airbnb both as vendor and customer. I am working with some relatives living in midwest 35 yr? subdivision middle class subdivision...not too fancy, and some remodeling means (I think) we can set up with private room, private outside door, new private bathroom and shower, street parking, suitable for 1, possibly 2 people. Have i-net, fax, scanner, cable, wash/dry in hall, not so good public trans,will install big TV, microwave, dorm fridge, smoke/monox. detectors and fire ext. essentially as private as motel room, NO pool or hot tub. AIRBNB calculates 50% occupancy gets $600 per month, I take estimates with grain of salt, but that kind of $$ would be a big help. I am sort of the consultant pro bono and it sounds good. Local gov. seems vague but not aggressive yet. Thoughts? Experiences? Thanks!

I have used a it quite a bit. I have mostly positive experiences for getting an inexpensive bed to sleep. Most important things are decent/reliable wifi and clean. Extend via ethernet cable an inexpensive router for person is best if further away.

I recently booked a place that was $38/nite at base road of major Utah ski area(Solitude) plus $10 service fee from AirBnb, $15 cleaning (you get all hopefully). There was some local tax involved too. I prefer these stays over a cruddy motel room.

It could turn out to be a nightmare.... or turn out very good.

I'd look for an older person that's mature and most importantly employed.

We use it pretty much every summer to rent cabins/vacation homes for our family vacation. I've had nothing but good luck, but I also tend to be a pretty thorough reader of past customer reviews and will also check the hosts out on FaceBook.

The only thing I don't like about it is how all these extra fees get tacked on at the end. It's advertised at one rate, but then cleaning, booking, etc. fees show up. And they are not consistent between places. I do factor them into my ultimate decision, but it does make it a bit more challenging to do a quick comparison.

They have come under fire in the UK because they are being used as pop-up brothels. Something very difficult to regulate against.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Claud
They have come under fire in the UK because they are being used as pop-up brothels. Something very difficult to regulate against.

Wow, the hosts would be most likley VERY shocked if that happened around here!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Claud

Wow, the hosts would be most likley VERY shocked if that happened around here!

Or they would use "The best little.... in Texas" as a marketing line.

thanks for the feedback. Still formulating what and how to do, needing to spend a reasonable amount to make it happen. Didn't think of brothels, THAT would be really unpopular. HOWEVER, I know at IU, Valparaiso, IUPUI, and some others nobody did the brothel but hot sheets motels were popular, so you didn't have to chase your roommate out while you fraternized with your boyfriend / girlfriend. If it goes we are talking 1-2 person max. occupancy, perhaps with folks attending lectures at local seminary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back