Tire replacement question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda Odyssey is on its original set of tires with a DOT date of 2313, it was one of the early 2014 production models. They are the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires and have 40,000 miles on them and still have 7.5/32 of tread. I'm noticing that they don't seem to grip quite as good in the rain and we haven't had snow yet to see how they do again this year. Some places say to swap tires every 5 years but these just don't have any typical Michelin cracks or anything, they look and ride great still. Should I keep running them until 4-5/32?

Are you able to compensate for the loss of wet traction? (Please Note: The situation is only going to get worse.)

How about snow traction? Are you able to deal with that as well?

If so, then the answer is obvious. If not, the answer is also obvious.

Oh and up where you are, I've heard that 8 or 9 years is about the age where you ought to remove the tires due to age.

Is the whole set wearing evenly? Have they been seeing regular rotations?
I'm surprised that you are noticing a drop in wet performance if they all have that much tread.
IDK if an alignment issue could result in poor wet performance but the car could still feel great when it's dry?

This vehicle is extremely well maintained, tire rotations according to the Maintenance Minder and I get annual alignments as preventative because of the condition some of our roads are in! Tire wear is also consistent all the way across the tread blocks. I'm used to replacing OEM tires at 20K so for me, its odd to have 40K on OEM tires and still have a bunch of tread.

I think ill run them longer....if the rule of thumb up here is 8-9 years replacement, I think im in good shape!

I have as OE on my 2015 Altima, MXV4's(215-55-17). The Michelin's only have 33k miles(5-32nds) and I didn't like them much in the winter when they were new.

I have removed the MXV4's and kept them on their OE wheels in the garage and will continue to use them over 2 yrs in 3 seasons ONLY.

I am currently using another set of wheels/tires for this upcoming winter which should do well in the deep snow/slush & Yuk!

I was contemplating selling off the MXV4's for whatever I could get for them.

Originally Posted By: carguy996
This vehicle is extremely well maintained, tire rotations according to the Maintenance Minder and I get annual alignments as preventative because of the condition some of our roads are in! Tire wear is also consistent all the way across the tread blocks. I'm used to replacing OEM tires at 20K so for me, its odd to have 40K on OEM tires and still have a bunch of tread.

I think ill run them longer....if the rule of thumb up here is 8-9 years replacement, I think im in good shape!

20K on OE tires and you change them? I'm pushing 60K on OE tires on my 08 Liberty and will be changing them next week. They could probably go another 5K miles but with winter rapidly approaching I don't want to chance it.

Run them. 10 years is a rough industry standard for required replacement for time.

Less rain performance is most likely due to age and heat cycling the tire and it gets less flexible. If the booming stock market has filled your pockets then replace them.

My Pilot has the same Primacy factory tires. I've got 4-5/32" left but they're still quiet and grippy. This may be the last winter I run them because by this time next year, they'll be close to the wear bars.

Why not put on snow tires and continue to run your current tires in the summer? If you get a lot of spring/summer rain and traction is an issue then as well, then change and sell your current tires on craigslist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back