Are pushrod engines being manufactured anymore ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think some race teams have complained about the C7’s CG advantage …
Maybe the fox can be handed the keys like Toyota was at NASCAR …

And don't forget the Cummins 6.7, the Duramax 6.6, and the Powerstroke 6.7. Those are all pushrod engines with 4 valves per cylinder. Ford went overboard on the pushrods, and actually has one for every valve in the engine. The Cummins and Duramax use crossheads to drive 2 valves with each pushrod.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Chevy pushrod V8's make a lot of power in less space than many other engine configurations.

In fact, I am unaware of any modern production engine that has better power to weight or power to size. So much so, that it takes serious technical effort just to match the run of the mill LS3 in outright output.

In fact, a detuned, RPM limited, and reduced displacement (5.5L) normally aspirated, without adjustable cam timing, Chevy Small Block is what is currently used in the C7r, and it FLAT OUT cleans up in the racing circuits against uber high tech engines from Ford, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar and so on.

Indeed. There's a reason the new C7 Vette has the lowest Center of Gravity ever measured at Car and driver. It's that ultra compact engine! Put an LS in almost anything. It'll probably fit...

It is interesting to see a bunch of different cars lined up with their hoods up at autocross. A modern Vette engine is so low compared to a Mustang or almost anything else. The old rotary cars engine is hard to find down there though, as the accessories dwarf the actual block...
The FR-S is impressive too with how low the whole car is along with the engine. Then you look a my car and wonder how it doesn't drive around on 2 wheels the whole time!
I still don't understand why GM's turbo 4's aren't pushrods but there must be some engineering reason.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
As mentioned OHV is way more compact. My 4.6L OHC is as tall and wide as a old 460 (7.5L) big block, its only shorter in length. Its ridiculous!

That is the analogy I've always made too! Love my 460 in my 1995 F53.

Originally Posted By: Kira
What does DOD mean? (3 posts above)
In the wider world, Department of Defense.

And there are a lot of people doing it (removing the cyl deactivation). I forgot what all parts get changed but its supposed to help the oil burning issue big time.

You don't have to "remove" cyl deactivation on my 2016 Scat Pack with the 6.4L Hemi. Just reach over to the dash and push the "Sport Mode" button and it is gone. What oil burning issue are you talking about? My Ram and Scat Pack both have cylinder deactivation (MDS) and neither one uses any oil at all.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
And maybe these (NASCAR too?)

All of the current Fuel cars (Funny Car and Top Fuel) in NHRA Drag Racing are using engines based on the architecture of the old Chrysler 426 Hemi. So yes, they have Pushrods. Most are using Manton Pushrods.

Yep + they are 500 cu inch … another thing lost in the shuffle … been a while since they raced a 1/4 mile …

Yep + they are 500 cu inch … another thing lost in the shuffle … been a while since they raced a 1/4 mile …

500 CI is the maximum allowable displacement. There are slight variations between teams based on theories of the Crew Chief, as to the actual displacement each team runs.

When Scott Kalitta was killed at E-town, we were forced to run only 1000 ft, which allowed for more shutdown room. The cars are so severely restricted now, particularly the TF/D's, that it is becoming an exercise in frustration.

They could exceed 350 mph right now, if it weren't for many of the regulations which are intended to (and do) slow them down. I'd like nothing more than for a few of the handwringers in the NHRA to retire, remove a bunch of restrictions on the cars, improve or remove from the tour the tracks with limited shutdown room, return to racing a full 1320 ft, and then see what they could be capable of.

But it remains a traveling company decal show like so many things today … from 100 yards it’s hard to tell a bass fisherman from a race car driver …
wink.gif

But it remains a traveling company decal show like so many things today … from 100 yards it’s hard to tell a bass fisherman from a race car driver …
wink.gif

Racing is expensive. Parts aren't free and I am sure even though some people would love tgo turn wrenches for free, you need to pay people well to put up with being on the road as much as they are. Consider NASCAR where their season runs from President's Day weekend to the weekend before Thanksgiving with only 2 weekends off.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Chevy pushrod V8's make a lot of power in less space than many other engine configurations.

In fact, I am unaware of any modern production engine that has better power to weight or power to size. So much so, that it takes serious technical effort just to match the run of the mill LS3 in outright output.

In fact, a detuned, RPM limited, and reduced displacement (5.5L) normally aspirated, without adjustable cam timing, Chevy Small Block is what is currently used in the C7r, and it FLAT OUT cleans up in the racing circuits against uber high tech engines from Ford, Ferrari, Porsche, Jaguar and so on.

I don't disagree with you, but race engines are a different type of animal.

Yes. And there are a lot of people doing it (removing the cyl deactivation). I forgot what all parts get changed but its supposed to help the oil burning issue big time.

In the new Corvettes if you have a manual transmission, it only deactivates half the cylinders if you put it into eco mode (which virtually nobody does) With automatics, it will activate in any mode except manual mode (where you use the paddle shifters) A lot of guys with automatic Corvettes buy a device made by Range Technology which plugs into the OBD port and keeps the active fuel management from intervening. It can also be deactivated through custom tuning but that will void your powertrain warranty so not many people go that route. I plan on just driving in manual mode as often as possible and then once the Range device becomes more reliable I will buy one (it currently causes some cars to trigger a CE light but every update they do gets a little bit better)

Originally Posted By: 02SE
They could exceed 350 mph right now, if it weren't for many of the regulations which are intended to (and do) slow them down. I'd like nothing more than for a few of the handwringers in the NHRA to retire, remove a bunch of restrictions on the cars, improve or remove from the tour the tracks with limited shutdown room, return to racing a full 1320 ft, and then see what they could be capable of.

Are they still talking about going to a 410 cubic inch displacement limit? I seem to remember hearing that was one of the things being considered.

Not so much lately. The handwringers (whom I won't name, lest someone takes offense) have found another method which drastically and effectively slows the TF/D's down on the top end.

Sport mode does not disable the MDS. You can look it up. It does turn off your traction control and raise your shift points. I read so many people want to disable it or shut it off and I can't figure out why. It's seamless and doesn't effect anything when you need to go. Enjoy the technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back