appointment only repair shop? What's the purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked at a tire shop with parts store attached.

If you want to drop in at 9:00am, have your car put on a lift, a wheel removed, and no other work performed until 4:30 or perhaps the next day, we could accomodate you. One or a couple "real mechanics" did serious work and we had a couple more tire/oil techs who could at least triage the serious stuff. Tires and OCIs got in and out quickly. OCIs were at a loss but we "suggested" legitimate repairs. Cars were either perfect or rolling wrecks with 20 problems and we were blown off. It was probably 50/50 scheduled and drop-ins. A percentage of scheduled customers never showed.

As you can imagine, most customers wouldn't be cool with waiting while a few were resigned to a day in the waiting room. We were the minute-clinic quacks of auto repair. Open sundays.
laugh.gif
I don't know how many people opened a phone book and called around to all the shops with two week waits before calling us and coming right in.

We did actually put cars back on the road during moments when noone else could have. Stuff like blown brake lines. And if, perhaps, people are not in an existing relationship with a regular mechanic they could have "discovered" us and returned.

I still use the chain for my cars' state inspections, without dropping cover that I used to work there.

The shop just north of me is the same way.

Even to get my cat taken off, he needed a few days before he wanted me to drop it off.

I'd rather him be always booked as opposed to always having time.

Last edited:
Dealers by me (just outside of New York City) are $120 to $130 an hour.

My local guy is $90 an hour. I drop it off early when only an attendant is there and if it is simple (1-2 hours of labor, parts available that day) it is ready at the end of the day when I return from work. If not, I get a phone call. This is a great system and have been going to this place for a couple of decades.

Stopping by later in the day and expecting it to be done by the end of the day is not generally an option as he has plenty of work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back