E85/93 Blend In The GTI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So while it seems everybody's quest is for ethanol free gas around here, I'm trying something different. Gas station a town over has just recently added E85/E15 pumps. Its been reported people using a small amount of E85 to their GTI's and get a small power gain, I really didn't want to believe it. But today I added 2.5 gallons of E85 and the rest 93; rough calculations is a E20 mix. To my surprise I did feel a small gain in power. Midrange was more responsive as idle improved greatly. With winter approaching I doubt I'll be using this mix till it warms back up, but I think for the warmer months it seems to be a winner. There are a couple tuners that are/have developed an E85 kit for these cars, but I'll have to wait till warranty period is over to play with that.

E85 is about 103 octane, so you may be keeping the knock sensor happier.
You are running a bit leaner though, and if you aren't tuned for it, you aren't getting the full benefit of the added octane and oxygenate. E20 is likely to do no harm in an E10 car. Blender pumps that deal E85 around my area will give you E15 and E20 so you avoid the two nozzle dance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil
E85 is about 103 octane, so you may be keeping the knock sensor happier.

That and IIRC it doesn't pull as much timing, but without a data logger I can't give specific numbers on my car. Don't plan on anything over E20, although some go as high as E30 on stock tuning. They have E15 there as well, but it's only rated 88 octane.

Ive been wanting to try some e85 in my vehicles for some time. My sienna is supposed to run on premium and it would be nice to just put e85 in and 87 instead of running 93.

It'll compensate for the extra oxygen (as long as it doesn't throw codes for being stuck lean) and said oxygen could plausibly make more power. So it's not just the octane.

Now if you could only find a smidgen of 100LL to throw in this cocktail.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Ive been wanting to try some e85 in my vehicles for some time. My sienna is supposed to run on premium and it would be nice to just put e85 in and 87 instead of running 93.

you can easily run E85. change2e85.com has awesome kits. Been recommending their stuff to clients for a while now if they have E85 stations near by.

I've been running a 25% mix of E85 with 75% E10 in my 13 Tahoe, and it loves it!

I am back on total E85. Prices have gotten to where it is the value leader in my area. Filled Saturday at $1.49 a gallon for E85. Regular E10 is $2.41. Even with the lower mpg, I am way ahead on cost per mile using E85. Even the highest outlet near me ($1.69 a gallon) is getting into bargain territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back