Mercury 150 Fourstroke - oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
Rode in a 18 ft triton with merc 150 thumper last weekend... 4blade stainless... complete dud out of the hole... top speed barely over 50 GPS... after 6 years with a 150 opimax on my tuffy, I would have a tough time switching to the merc 4 stroke...

We drill the prop to let it cavitate a bit to get the revs up, a boat like that should easily spin the engine right up to its max rpm. That Merc has a great hole shot if the prop is right...

Well got a different tale... spent the morning in a friends new ranger z118 with merc 150 thumper... loaded with twin power poles... he won 2 boats this year and combined them into this boat... boat was amazing and motor was strong and solid out of the hole... sounded real nice... cool part I noticed was the fast trim... near 60 mph GPS... jackplate and 4 blade... the previous triton I rode in was a complete nightmare compared to this boat...
I now have a different view of the 150 merc thumper.... really would like one...

Proping a motor is WAY more important that the difference in oils discussed here ...

10W-30 would be fine for all around use on a motor that does not live at max all day long
smile.gif

Apologies for resurrecting an old post...but we have the same engine on our family boat (also soon out of warranty) and I'm interested to hear if there's any annecdotal info out there on the performance of aa HDEO 10w 30 in this application? I can get Caltex/Chevron products at a pretty good price from a local distributor but am not sure which one would be more suitable for the 'multi-purpose' use of the boat?? (longer distance sport fishing/skiing & just putting a around)

- Delo 400 XLE 10w 30 (CJ4/SM)
- Delo 400 LE 15w 40 (CJ4/SM)
- Delo 400 Multigrade 15w 40 (CI-4 Plus/ SL)

Any suggestions (even non-delo) would be appreciated!!

Worked on a lot of boats over the years including some big one
laugh.gif

With the way oils have evolved in the last ten years and especially the HDEO's over the last few years, I'd run Rotella T6 5W-40 year round never look back
laugh.gif

If the daytime temps are not too hot in your area and the water temps are "swim-able" the motor will be happy with 10W-30. Any of the Chevron 10W-30's, changed once a year, should do fine. They are all very good oils. I'd lean toward the HDEO myself, but even Supreme would work well.

The Chevrons are not true synthetics, but highly refined dino oils. That said, they are very durable and work well. Gotta remember that Delo400 was the first oil to post a million mile motor in HD fleet ops, followed shortly by Delvac... These refiners know what they are doing.

RP and other "boutique" oils can serve you well too. But I doubt they will be nearly as affordable ... Especially in Australia ...

What does Penrite have on offer that is similar?

I'm sticking with NMMA FC-W synthetic and will not have that extra fight with OEM or dealer if something pukes.
The OEM oil is 5w-30 syn and RP is 10w-30 syn - liked 10w-30 for my case ...

So I finally got around to doing the service last weekend, decided on the Mercury Semi Syn 25w40, (for one more year at least)...found a semi local dealer who's prices weren't a complete rip-off.

Was a good little project: oils, filters, plugs, belt, impeller, seals, clean and re-grease...have a better understanding of how it all goes together now, used good kit and saved some $$$. (though I'll always be too slow to be a proper mechanic)

Must admit it's a nice feeling when they fire up and start peeing water straight away!! lol

now for some nice weather to use it!

Originally Posted By: 4WD
I'm sticking with NMMA FC-W synthetic and will not have that extra fight with OEM or dealer if something pukes.
The OEM oil is 5w-30 syn and RP is 10w-30 syn - liked 10w-30 for my case ...

Same, and although I store and get all my mtce done at the dealer I purchased it from, I also looked into different oil/mtce things thinking I may be able to save a pile doing all this myself.
Truth be told, once I added everything up, including bringing my boat home, getting it shrink wrapped, stored, etc, I really wasn't saving much money.
This year, as per the dealer's/Merc's recommendation, I opted for the Merc semi syn oil. I have no idea what weight they use, and in all honesty, I was surprised my boat wasn't already using syn or semi-syn oil already?
The semi syn cost me an extra $60 this year. Likely a rip off for sure, but my love for syns got the better of me.
blush.gif

As far as props go, I am running a Turning Point prop on 07 90 4stroke. I researched this to death at iboats.com and decided to give this one a try before I went with a Stainless prop.
It was just over a $100 dollars with the hub and I am glad to say it worked beautifully!! I liked it so much, I purchased another one, a 19P to replace the stocker. The first one I purchased was a 17P as my boat is mainly used for tubing/kneeboarding and water skiing. I gain over 300 RPM which brought it the 6000 RPM max. The stocker would only go to 5,600. I gained 2 mph (GPS) and get far less cavitation and a lot better holeshot.
I swear by them but one needs to do their homework first as there is a lot more to it than just going out a purchasing a prop "you think" will work.
https://turningpointpropellers.com/

Reactions: mva
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back